Can ex partner sell his house?

Reading this post is a salutary reminder to not cohabit or, if you do, ensure your partner has at least equal wealth. Or just be single.

Actually its a reminder that if you have children you have a legal obligation to ensure you provide a home, food, clothing, education, and you can't simply push them out when you decide you've had enough.
Correction to my post: not cohabit or have children unless there is equal wealth

We had equal wealth at the start of the relationship. Take home pay was similar. However once I became home maker his career went in a different direction and he had the freedom to do so. Majority of mortgage was cleared in recent years along with investments. Absolutely everything financially was in his name and he controlled my “allowance”.
It has since transpired that he met someone else and this was the reason for the breakup. However that relationship has fallen apart since. I’m still under pressure to move out from him or get back together but I have a solicitor now.
It’s a reminder to keep your financial independence and choose your partner very wisely.

I am glad you have a solicitor, and are taking steps to secure your and the children’s future. I hope it all works out. Remember as you said he was able to become more successful in his career because you were homemaking so you contributed to that success.

If you do decide to resume your relationship you need to consider this may happen again, maybe when your children have all grown up, so get everything in joint names and protect yourself into your old age. And since he has lied to you about that new relationship he probably lies about the extent of his assets too.

When a father wants to remove his children from the only home they have with no idea about where or how they are going to live, be reared or educated civility is clearly not within the relationship.
Yes just to clarify, he wants me to find a landlord who accepts rent allowance and for me and children to move out so that he can move back into the 4 bed house (family home).
Can you clarify that please;
Are you saying that he doesn't want to see his children at all and wants to move them and you out of the family home?
Or does he want you to move out but share the parenting so that the children spend time in both households?

This is a difficult and stressful situation but relationships break down and while the needs of the children come first both parents have the right to provide a family home. If you end up sharing parenting then the larger family home might have to be sold so that two homes of relatively equal value can be provided.

Under no circumstances should you just move out as it's not his house anymore and hasn't been since you had a family together but equally it's not your house either. You'll both need to compromise and any victory will be at the expense of the welfare of your children. The why's and how's of your relationship breakdown are irrelevant and anger is a poison so don't let that consume you. Talk to your solicitor but more importantly listen to them.

Hi Purple, just to clarify regarding the parenting arrangements. He has shown no desire to share parenting as joint custody etc. I have been very much the main caregiver in the past and now. He’s sees them for 2.5 hours a week and calls once a week.

There are two other housing options in his name which have room for the children. So three properties in total. The sale of the main family house would not be enough to buy two separate dwellings. And I think because there are already other options available to him then it is unnecessary.

The problem is that he views the home as very much his. He views the responsibility of housing the children more my responsibility than his. He feels that child maintenance is his only responsibility financially.
I agree that anger is a poison. It’s hard not to be angry though when you see how easily someone can try to dispose of their family and put their own wants first. But without that anger I would not have the fight needed for these kids. I’m not a fighter. Everything has always been very much on his terms. But right now I need the anger and strength to stand up to him. Compromising would be good but unfortunately it seems that we are on completely different pages.

Hi Purple, just to clarify regarding the parenting arrangements. He has shown no desire to share parenting as joint custody etc. I have been very much the main caregiver in the past and now. He’s sees them for 2.5 hours a week and calls once a week.
Wow, that's crazy. Fathers are usually fighting to get access to their kids.

There are two other housing options in his name which have room for the children. So three properties in total. The sale of the main family house would not be enough to buy two separate dwellings. And I think because there are already other options available to him then it is unnecessary.

The problem is that he views the home as very much his. He views the responsibility of housing the children more my responsibility than his. He feels that child maintenance is his only responsibility financially.
I agree that anger is a poison. It’s hard not to be angry though when you see how easily someone can try to dispose of their family and put their own wants first. But without that anger I would not have the fight needed for these kids. I’m not a fighter. Everything has always been very much on his terms. But right now I need the anger and strength to stand up to him. Compromising would be good but unfortunately it seems that we are on completely different pages.
How long have you been together and what age are the kids?
It is reasonable to take the position that everything he earned since you moved in together is half yours. He has an equal right to access to the children and you have an equal right to access to the money. The fact that it is all in his name just makes that messy but it doesn't really weaken your position. I take it from your posts that you are not married. If you were it would be very simple; everything would be half yours automatically. Without being married you have to go to court to establish that.
As things stand his request that you move out is laughable.

We were together nearly 10 years and the youngest is 5yrs old. No we weren’t married. In hindsight I believe that was a very deliberate choice by him to avoid what we actually face now. He controlled the finances and made sure absolutely everything was in his name. Even now he tells me this is his house, who can enter the house amongst other things. After 6 months of breathing space I can now see that it was actually an emotionally abusive and controlling relationship.

I'm very curious about what legal advice you are receiving. My understanding was that the cohabitation rules could provide some redress but wouldn't approach anything like what you would receive if married, certainly nothing like getting a property. I have spent years advising people who claim its just a piece of paper of the need to get married when starting a family as you never know what will happen and I've seen it go wrong many times - its very easy to start in a position where everyone is equal, has great careers, etc then it just takes one child being sick, one job not being flexible about childcare, then suddenly someone is staying at home and it becomes very unequal with no protection.

I was glad to hear the cohabitation law was offering some protection but it sounded minimal whereas what you're hoping for sounds much more comprehensive. Has your solicitor had success with this before? I tried to read around it a few years ago and didn't see any reports on what the typical outcomes were.

Generally, I think people need to think seriously about sharing assets when starting a family, and this country needs to get more serious about tracking down fathers who avoid child support payments. When you have a child you're primarily making a commitment to the child, but if there's a family decision that one parent should step back to care for that child then morally if not legally that is a decision that will affect the provision that parent needs in the future. These are things that should be discussed more widely.

At the moment I have no idea where this will go. Solicitor has advised that the cohabitation law brings me into the same jurisdiction as a married person but I know there are limitations and it’s not exactly the same or treated the same. Ultimately it comes down to a judge to decide if we can’t come to an agreement beforehand. I wouldn’t imagine a judge would rule us to leave the house but at the moment that’s what I am facing so I’m hoping for the right to remain until youngest is older. I think my expectations ok. I hope so.

I'm very curious about what legal advice you are receiving. My understanding was that the cohabitation rules could provide some redress but wouldn't approach anything like what you would receive if married, certainly nothing like getting a property. I have spent years advising people who claim its just a piece of paper of the need to get married when starting a family as you never know what will happen and I've seen it go wrong many times - its very easy to start in a position where everyone is equal, has great careers, etc then it just takes one child being sick, one job not being flexible about childcare, then suddenly someone is staying at home and it becomes very unequal with no protection.

I was glad to hear the cohabitation law was offering some protection but it sounded minimal whereas what you're hoping for sounds much more comprehensive. Has your solicitor had success with this before? I tried to read around it a few years ago and didn't see any reports on what the typical outcomes were.
The fact that there are kids makes a major difference. More information here. There are good solicitors on this site who can give specific advice. Under the Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act of 2010 Dairylea fulfills the criteria required for protection but yes, couples should get married if they really want to be protected. Unmarried fathers are far more vulnerable in that regard although the Marriage Equality referendum did, for the first time, give fathers automatic rights to their own children.

Generally, I think people need to think seriously about sharing assets when starting a family, and this country needs to get more serious about tracking down fathers who avoid child support payments. When you have a child you're primarily making a commitment to the child, but if there's a family decision that one parent should step back to care for that child then morally if not legally that is a decision that will affect the provision that parent needs in the future. These are things that should be discussed more widely.
Absolutely but at the same time, and without wishing to drag this off topic, this country needs to get more serious about ensuring mothers follow court orders around access for fathers. People get nasty when relationships break down and both parties use whatever weapons they have to hurt the other party. In the case of men it is more likely to be finances. In the case of women it is more likely to be access to children.

Either way it's usually the children who get the scars and, as with any relationship, the person who cares the least has most of the power.

Last edited:
At the moment I have no idea where this will go. Solicitor has advised that the cohabitation law brings me into the same jurisdiction as a married person but I know there are limitations and it’s not exactly the same or treated the same. Ultimately it comes down to a judge to decide if we can’t come to an agreement beforehand. I wouldn’t imagine a judge would rule us to leave the house but at the moment that’s what I am facing so I’m hoping for the right to remain until youngest is older. I think my expectations ok. I hope so.
I think you are being overly pessimistic. I can't see a judge not making a Property Adjustment Order but I'm not a solicitor. Read this.

I think you are being overly pessimistic. I can't see a judge not making a Property Adjustment Order but I'm not a solicitor. Read
Thanks Purple. I hope you are right. The problem is there isn’t much to read on the outcomes of these kind of cases. Maybe most of them get sorted out before they reach court.

Thanks Purple. I hope you are right. The problem is there isn’t much to read on the outcomes of these kind of cases. Maybe most of them get sorted out before they reach court.
Most family law cases are held "In Camera", that is in the Judge's Chambers and so are not accessible to the public. That's why you can't find them.

I'm not going to give detailed specifics because it is too difficult to do so without being at a desk and taking a full history. But there are some time limits for qualified cohabitants to seek relief. Make sure you don't fall foul of them.

I'm not going to give detailed specifics because it is too difficult to do so without being at a desk and taking a full history. But there are some time limits for qualified cohabitants to seek relief. Make sure you don't fall foul of them.
Thank you MOB
As far as I understand the time limit is 2 years. Not a long time but I’m within in.
He has now offered to buy a further property that I could live in with the children as his tenant and apply for HAP. Meaning he has another property with HAP payments covering any mortgage he has to pay on it. We really are on completely different pages.
I have my draft proceedings and affidavit now from the Solicitor.

Back