Can company force annual leave to be taken at a particular time?

tigra

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know can an employer force staff to use their annual leave days(holidays) if the company decides that it won't open on a particular day. An example would be if Christmas day is on a Tuesday but the company wants to remain closed on the Monday can the employer take this day out of the employees leave?

Thanks

Re: Employer Forcing staff to take holidays?

...and it's quite common in my experience.

Oh well.....not much i can do about it so.

Thanks

its such a pain - it happens where i work too.

its such a pain - it happens where i work too.

But in Tigra's example, would you rather have the weekend off, then go to work on the Monday and then have your Christmas holidays? I know I wouldn't. I would have thought that this 'forced leave' is generally to the benefit of employees? I think it always has been in my case.

Not if you would rather use that day's leave now for say a friend's wedding or something, but have to "save" it so that you use it when boss wants. That is where it has been a pain in my experience.

I think Tigra just feels that the employee should have a choice as to when to use their annual leave.

Employers I think must ensure that employees take holidays rather to ensure the life / work balance. It under the working time act. One way to do this is to asign days where the company closes for a company holiday.

Many firms do this... so each year the "holiday calander" is published. this includes bank holidays, company holidays and even in some firms summer shut down (eg 10 specific days) The employee ends up with say 2 to 4 "floating" holidays to be taken with agreement of the supervisor. As this is the same for all and it is published then it is fair. And like others have said the copany can do it. (I suggest should do it)

It depends what else I need my holidays for during the year. It can prevent you from having a full week off elsewhere in the year.
My preference would be to choose my time off - not have it chosen for me.

It depends what else I need my holidays for during the year. It can prevent you from having a full week off elsewhere in the year.
My preference would be to choose my time off - not have it chosen for me.
Do you accept that your employer has to do what is in the best interest of the company, while complying with the law?
For example if everyone who could perform a particular essential task wanted to take holidays at the same time do you think it would be reasonable for your employer to refuse?

Not if you would rather use that day's leave now for say a friend's wedding or something, but have to "save" it so that you use it when boss wants. That is where it has been a pain in my experience.

If they tell you well in advance so that you can set that day aside then you really have no comeback.

If you're new and weren't made aware of it when you submitted your holiday request, then you should be able to get around it....depending on your supervisor.

I have to keep three holidays for Christmas every year but I dont mind, I'd rather have it off. I get 25 days tho so thats a bonus I su[ppose.

I do accept that and I also accept that my holidays depend on who else wants to take time and when. And I agree that my employer is being reasonable to refuse everyone who performs a particular essential task the same days off.

However - I still find it a pain.