Can Bank take money out of another a/c

cazmayo

My husband missed a business loan payment due to 350 in bank charges so it seems the bank went into our personal account and took the loan payment without any notification.

Are they allowed to do this without contacting the person and informing them? We are on a tight budget and although I dont plan a repeat dont like the fact they took money without permission or notification.

The payment was put into the business current account to cover the loan but bank charges came out the same day and thus it resulted in a missed payment.

Now considering moving my personal account!

Caz

I asked my Business banking manager this question a couple of months ago and he said that they could not and never would go into one account to take money to another. This is BOI but I'm fairly positive he said they legally were not allowed to. In the UK our bank would finance one account from another if needs be and I thought it was ok here too.

Might it be that your husband gave a general authorisation to the bank and then forgot about it because the business account was normally in a good state?

If the business account was in his sole name and the personal account was in your joint names it would appear particularly improper to have debited the personal account without authorisation.

a number of years ago in a bank in Dundalk, £200 was taken from my sccount i did,nt know about it until i called into make a withdrawel, a stand in manager came to me and told me about this withdrawel and said it has now been replaced, i thought this very strange to say the least i told him,but he just said its been fixed now

Similar situation , bank once went into my savings account for a couple of hundred , current account had run low due to extra spending at the time of a family death , a once off.
Brought it to the FO and got an apology.

The business account is a limited company. I just think it is out of order without any notification. I have all my dd's timed and running like clockwork due to a tight budget, and was very angry to see them just go in and take the money. It could have resulted in missed dd's, bounced cheques etc.

This was mentioned on the afternoon show a few days ago, and the advisor said they are not entitled to go in unless it was several payments, and several communications with the customer, and in addition there was sufficient funds so not to result in dd's missed and living costs.

I think I will contact the bank and ask who authorised this transaction, as we didnt. I was going to make good on the loan account once I realised on receipt of the bank statement but this had already been done.

If this is their policy, I will be moving my personal account.

Thanks for the advice.
Kind REgards
Caz

Back