Can any one recommend an A/V Receiver and is there anything i'm missing ????

Ron Burgundy

i'm currently putting together my cinema at home and the receiver is the lat part of the package i was looking at this http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=10532&taxonomy_id=42-98 Pioneer.

but this is the only area i know little about, here is what i have in place already for the room

this dvd player/HDD http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=12163&taxonomy_id=45-133

i have this Projector [broken link removed]

this plasma

this screen [broken link removed]

these speakers

this pc system http://www.apple.com/uk/macmini/

this games system [broken link removed]

and you can add sky+ to that as well

Ron Burgundy said:
.. is there anything i'm missing

A need to overcome your fear of the world outside your front door ?
A subscription for regular eye and ear tests ?

Bah - I'm just jealous of all your cool stuff !!!

i had a look at the av forums earlier but haven't done boards.ie

just want to make sure its rated for the speakers and that it interfaces right with all of the above.

Ron,

There is little point in going for this receiver as it has THX certification that you will be paying a lot of money for. THX is a high quality (pioneered by George Lucas) surround sound that can only be made use of if you have THX certified speakers and reciever and as far as i can tell the bose speakers do not have this.
I would recommend that you look at alternatives without THX certification as they will be much cheaper or else get a new set of speakers.

I have a Yamaha THX receiver and Jamo THX speakers and the sound is awesome, so if you can afford it get new speakers!!

sorry but i don't rate Yamaha Steve, i've used their equipment before in a professional capacity and wasn't impressed.

but your right about the THX, i want the Bose so its a matter of finding a matching amp now.

had a look around and have changed my mind on the speakers, i think i'll go for these MISSION M-CUBE

Similar problem myself.

Have HD Ready Projector, SKY HD on way next week touch wood, CRT ( which I will probably replace with a HD Ready model ), and a DVD Player with a HDMI output. I assume you'll upgrade to HD after buying two HD ready displays.

Now, the problem is finding an amp with at least 2 hdmi inputs and also 2 hdmi outputs and I'm not sure that these exist yet. Just to complicate things further I have both displays at opposing ends in the room.

A solution for you assuming you have both displays at the same end might be something like....

although you will also need to split the hdmi output. They can be found cheap enough on EBAY.

One note about the Sony amp is that the HDMI leads that feed into it only seem to carry picture. You'll need more cables to carry the sound. There are amps that process both sound and vision but they cost a fortune.

For more you can't go wrong on www.avforums.co.uk . Many an evening I've spent reading up on that site.