Can an electric car be your "main driver"?

LDFerguson

If you buy a car over 30 years old, you can benefit from classic car reduced VRT, motor tax and insurance if you have another car insured as your daily driver.

Does anyone know if an electric car qualifies as the daily driver for these purposes, as many electric cars are technically Motorised Heavy Quadricycles and thus themselves benefit from greatly reduced taxes?

Not trying to scam anyone here - would genuinely consider an electric car as the daily driver as my mid-week mileage is very low with "something nice for the weekend" or longer trips.

Who is giving you the information? Usually on the insurance front, depending on the company, on a classic car policy there is a mileage restriction and they would allow you mirror your no claims bonus from your regular car policy. Hence the cheaper insurance. Whilst you can probably insure it without have a "daily driver" it would be more expensive because there is no no-claims bonus. Thus my original question - if it was an insurer.

Thanks for the reply peteb.

Previous enquiries had led me to First Ireland. Their classic car scheme seems well-known around the car clubs. [broken link removed]

When I actually read the detail from their site I see that having a daily driver is not absolutely necessary.