Can a self-contained unit be considered as a room?

AwtkGO

Hi,

I'm considering buying a 2 story house, then split it into 2 self-contained units install a washroom & a kitchen in upstairs. I'll be staying in one floor and rent out the other. I & tenant would have access to the main door and the stair to go to our own floor, but don't have access to the other person floor. Calling it a room or a self-contained unit doesn't matter to me.

I want to do less things (planning permission, obligations) as much as possible legally.

I want to apply for rent-a-room relief, and don't want the hassle of a self-contained:
If you rent out a self-contained unit in your home, such as a converted garage attached to your home or a basement flat, the rights and obligations under residential tenancies legislation apply to you. For example, you are obliged to register the tenancy with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB), provide a rent book to the tenant and ensure that the accommodation provided meets minimum physical standards.

Can I just advertise it as a room, then write it as a room in the rent contract? What is the criteria to be considered as a room?

Thanks.

Edited.

Last edited:
If it is a house with upstairs and downstairs washroom, could you put in a mini--kitchen upstairs? |You have one floor, the lodgers have the other, but it's not a self-contained unit.

Check the planning requirements first.
If it is a house with upstairs and downstairs washroom, could you put in a mini--kitchen upstairs? |You have one floor, the lodgers have the other, but it's not a self-contained unit.
Yes, I'm planning to install/add a new kitchen & washroom to the upstair. About planning permission, from an article that I can't post the link because the button keep saying it's a spam:
Small Garage Conversions at the back or rear of the house. Where you convert the garage for domestic use (i.e. a bedroom, kitchen, living room etc.) and its floor area is less than 40 square meters.

It doesn't not directly apply but seems like adding kitchen doesn't require planning.

It doesn't not directly apply but seems like adding kitchen doesn't require planning.
But adding the kitchen space isn't the bit that requires planning permission. It's splitting into 2 separate units that does. Apart from planning, you need to consider fire certificates, and how you're going to insurance.

The remainder of your query is covered a few times in other threads if you do a search. The exact definition is different for Rent a room relief Vs PRTB.

Example:

But adding the kitchen space isn't the bit that requires planning permission. It's splitting into 2 separate units that does. Apart from planning, you need to consider fire certificates, and how you're going to insurance.

The remainder of your query is covered a few times in other threads if you do a search. The exact definition is different for Rent a room relief Vs PRTB.

Sorry for transferring the wrong message about splitting into 2 separate units, I have editted the original post. The idea is just to make it so I & tenant have our own private spaces, I'm not interested in the legal part of declaring them as 2 separate units if that's not required.

Thanks for sharing the link, I'll dig in more into it and other threads.

Out of the topic: Don't know why I can't post URL here, even from the quote message, it keeps saying spam.

Back