Can a company with only rental income pay director a salary?

B

barttarb

I own a limited company but the business has fallen off so much that I am ceasing that particular trade.
The Company owns an office which is rented out to a nonconnected company and Rental Income is 30,000 per year

I am now starting to write a book, which I hope to sell
Can I pay myself 30,000 a year , which until I start getting royalties, will be the only income into the business. I now intend to go into writing full time.

If I get Rental Income of 30,000 and I pay myself 30,000, do I still need to pay the Rental Income surcharge

Re: Starting to Write

Yet another set of complex tax problems caused by a company buying a property rather than the individual.

As property prices are depressed at the moment, this is a good time to consider biting the bullet and selling the property to yourself personally.

Stamp duty is now only 6% which makes it easier.

Then your tax affairs will be a lot simpler.

Brendan

I think the salary would give you a CASE I loss in your company and then because case i is 12.5% and case v rental income is 25% ,you are restricted in how much of the 30k can be offset

It would be worth getting tax advice and how best to proceed it might be more tax efficient as suggested to get the property out of the company