Can a company make you switch to VHI ?

Merlin

Hi there,
I've just started a new job and the company health insurance scheme they offer is with VHI. I've been with BUPA/Quinn for the past 5 years and would like to remain with them. HR is telling me I can't - well they won't cover the cost.
Is this correct ?

Yes - administering more than one scheme can add a lot of workload to the HR dept, so many organisations just offer employees cover with just one insurer. However it is a benefit and you are not obliged to avail of it. You could forgo this benefit and keep paying your premia to Quinn if you really want to.....

Thanks for the reply amgd28,
Are you sure ? Someone told me yesterday that if a company offer health insurance as a benefit they cannot force you to go with one provider ? Obviously I want to avail of them covering my insurance rather than paying it myself

Maybe ask to get the VHI premium added to your basic pay. There is no extra benefit (for them or you) paying it via salary deduction (apart from possible group scheme discounts, which you can usually get by buying online.).

hi

As it is a company benefit you can either take it or leave it.

I dont think many places would allow you to get the cost of the policy, however changing over should not be a problem as long as you dont have a break in cover. IF you ever did leave you could move back to Quinn

not all companies have dual insurance cover, alot will probably choose one and stick with it if it's company paid. as they are paying for it they can choose which one to cover them. also the HR people would want less hassle, instead of dealing with multiple insurance ompanies etc
You could transfer from quinn to vhi without loosing waiting periods etc.. cover should continue..

Just curious - Is there any particular reason why you are reluctant to switch providers?

People are reluctant to switch providers like insurance companies and banks especiall if they have got good service and have built up a track record.
A company who provide Health Insurance usually select one supplier - but I know of several who have more than one - companies can also change suppliers - several big ones have changed from Quinn to VHI recently.

Back