Camping Duinrell, Wassenaar

hawkeye

Hi,
We have a holiday booked in Camping Duinrell, Wassenaar, near Amsterdam. Just wonderiing has anyone been there and what are your impressions

I have never stayed there, however as I used to live in the area, I have seen it and while studying applied for a job there as security guard.
I did not take the job as the expectation was set rightly by the manager: Keeping an eye on British, Dutch and German teens drinking all night long.

I do know they have separated this "youth" area from the rest of the camp site, so families should be alright I guess. There is quite a lot to do in terms of recreation for kids as it is way more than just a camp site.
If you haven't already, do have a look at www.duinrell.nl
I wouldn't agree it's near Amsterdam, as it is actually in The Hague, but then again, you're probably talking about only 40 kms from Amsterdam anyway. Enjoy your stay in Holland.

Happy_Harry said:
I have never stayed there, however as I used to live in the area, I have seen it and while studying applied for a job there as security guard.
I did not take the job as the expectation was set rightly by the manager: Keeping an eye on British, Dutch and German teens drinking all night long.

I do know they have separated this "youth" area from the rest of the camp site, so families should be alright I guess. There is quite a lot to do in terms of recreation for kids as it is way more than just a camp site.
If you haven't already, do have a look at www.duinrell.nl
I wouldn't agree it's near Amsterdam, as it is actually in The Hague, but then again, you're probably talking about only 40 kms from Amsterdam anyway. Enjoy your stay in Holland.

thanks for the info. Im sure the kids and ourselves will enjoy it

hi hawkeye,
We were in Duinrell for last week of June /first week of July this year. I would definitely recommend it for a family holiday. There is loads for the kids to do and the pool complex is really impressive. My kids are still raving about it and want to go back next year. We booked direct with the site and stayed in one of their "duingalows", which was lovely - very clean and much more spacious than a mobile home. The place was quiet enough the first week we were there but got considerably busier in July. I would imagine it 's very lively during high season. There was plenty of Irish there as well as English and Scots, but mostly Germans.
Wassenaar is a lovely little town but very quiet. Everything except the bars seem to shut early in the evening. We arrived on a Monday evening and couldn't find ANYWHERE open, either in Duinrell or in Wassenaar, to get something to eat after 8 o'clock - even the takeaway was shut. Bit of a culture shock to us Irish! However, once we got used to the early closing times we loved the place. The Dutch are incredibly friendly and nice and helpfully they all speak excellent english.
The Duinrell website gives you a good idea of what the theme park and pool complex are like, so it's worth a look. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them if I can. When are you going?

Thanks girasole,
We are travelling next week, arriving early afternoon so eating shouldnt

Thanks girasole,
We are travelling next week, arriving early afternoon so eating shouldnt be a problem, I hope! Always good to hear first hand experience so we cant wait to go.

Hi again hawkeye,

forgot to mention that there is a really good beach a couple of km from duinrell - well worth a visit if you are "beach people". It is very well kitted out with places to eat, drink etc., and certainly when we were there you would never guess it was the North Sea you were looking out at - it looked more like the Med. Mind you, we didn't go in the water, so it may be a bit on the chilly side!

Also, the Pancake House at the entrance to the Duinrell site is very good. They do a full menu (not just pancakes) and the food is a lot better than anything you will get in the park. The on-site restaurant beside the supermarket is not great at all, but the pizzeria in the theme park is grand.

Nearly all the attractions in the theme park are free. There is a charge of 50 cent on some things to stop people hogging them, but it's only on a few things.

If your kids are young, there are two huge playgrounds in the themepark which stay open til late - but the other attractions in the park shut at five when we were there - I think it's six in high season.

It's worth going into Wassenaar to do a grocery shop. There are a couple of supermarkets within walking distance (the main shopping area of Wassenaar is pedestrianised and we never managed to find a handy place to park so we always walked to the supermarket) and, as is always the way,it is noticeably cheaper to shop in town than on the campsite. The quickest way into the shopping area of Wassenaar (on foot) is out the main gate past reception , go across the main road and straight up the little road in front of you.

Pedal go-carts and bikes are available to hire on site and they are EVERYWHERE. The kids go mad for the karts but they are not allowed off site - bikes are though.

The theme park is busy enough but we found the campsite itself fairly tranquil and green. It has a lovely peaceful feel about it with ducks on the lake and hedgehogs in our garden!

The Space Expo in Noordwijk (Sp??) is a good place to spend an afternoon, especially if the weather lets you down, as it is indoors. And we thought Madurodam - Holland in miniature - in the Hague was good too(but all outdoor).

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the place when you get back. Have a great holiday.

Back