campervan conversion company

tradesman

hi
my father was thinking buying a van and converting it into a campervan for himself...can he set up a limited company, buy a van and materials for converting the van (claim back vat ect) and then not sell it???
What would be the minimum yearly costs for a limited company that does not pay wages or trade as such.

If the primary purpose of the venture is to avoid paying tax then Revenue will not allow it. Revenue will decide what the primary purpose is, not your father. In this scenario it seems that this is the case so I wouldn’t try it.

If the primary purpose of the venture is to avoid paying tax then Revenue will not allow it. Revenue will decide what the primary purpose is, not your father. In this scenario it seems that this is the case so I wouldn’t try it.

How does the revenue decide this.....he maybe thinking of buy and selling these vans when he retires.....

How does the revenue decide this.....he maybe thinking of buy and selling these vans when he retires.....

He may indeed, however if someone buys one, claims the costs & VAT and then never sells it, Revenue may wonder what has happened especially if it has been taxed, insured and done a nice few thousand km each year while "in stock") and an assessment for "self-supply" would result. However your first post said it all ...

"my father was thinking buying a van and converting it into a campervan for himself"

The intent, from the outset, is to use it personally, as such any attempt to reclaim tax/VAT is fraudulent and would ultimately be dealt with accordingly.