camper van cairns to sydney

We went from Cairns to Brisbane. Took us 3 1/2 weeks travelling with 2 small kids. I'm sure could be done quicker but with kids 6 hours driving per day was our max. Make sure you head off the coastal road. Atherton Tablelands, Waterfall circuit, Cania Gorge, Eungella NP to name but a few.

Snorkelling north of Cairns will be best AFAIK. Just be careful driving in Eungella NP as serious steep inclines and campervan may not be up to the job.I was sure we were goners a few times...kids loved it of course!

If your camper fridge only works off elec. Make sure you dont do your shopping until you know you can plug it in somewhere.

Buy a cheap fan in one of the big stores it was invaluable to us at $11 especially in Northern Queensland.

Don't plan everyday of trip we gave ourselves a bit of leeway, meant we could leave a place early if we didn't like it..Cairns for us and we stayed few days extra in Cania Gorge camping place beside NP..heaven.

I'm really jealous, but at least I have my memories...Enjoy.

did Carins to Syndey 3 - 4 weeks in a Kea Camper (Ford Transit ). Was going to go for cheaper Hiace van type but the extra comfort of the Transit was worth it for the long stretches. Nice friendly staff in Cairns who even phoned us on the last day to ask about any issues.

Went in September which is off season but still good weather in Queensland.
Finding a camp site is Sydney was the hardest. Elsewhere down the coast there is no problem and the better vans have toilets, showers all you need is a safe place to pull in.

Did not drive at night.

Using a large scale map plotted where we would have to be by day x to make it back in time and stuck loosely to that.

In Vietnam at the moment so coming close to gettin to Oz.

What kinda prices did u guys pay?

Just tryin to balance camper van vs car and motels!

cheers

Back