Campbell & O’Connor shares held with them

Bern78

Hi

My mother has just recently informed me that she had shares held with Campbell & O’Connor. We are looking for the share cert.

Obviously I have told her that they have closed- how does she go about liquidating the shares- is it just case of finding the share cert and then getting onto another firm that deals in share certs.

thanks

Hi. If she had shares held with Campbell O’Connor they would have been held in one of three ways. Important to find out which one was the case so you know how to proceed.

1. Held in nominee digitally. This means there is no share Cert. Fewer companies are issuing share certs now. They will be registered in the name of the company but assigned to your mothers account

2. Held in nominee in share Cert form (as above but in paper form). This is unlikely though unless it is a very old investment.

3. Held for safe keeping. This is normally where the stockbroker holds the share cert in the clients own name in a safe somewhere. Again unlikely nowadays.

In any case the shares or value of shares if sold might be held now with Cantor Fitzgerald

If they were held in your mothers own name she should have received any correspondence about the shares/takeovers/dividends/stock splits etc directly from the registrar. If she has not received any info then they are more than likely held in nominee.

I would suggest finding out who the share registrar is for the stock (Computershare etc) and contacting them as they might indicate if there is any in her own name.

Contact Cantor Fitzgerald as they will have a record of what came over from COC.

Does your mother have any paperwork from any of the above or a copy of the share Cert or an account number? This will help anyone you contact to retrieve any info.

We are looking for the share cert.

Assuming that they are UK or Irish shares, it is very likely that Campbell O'Connor just acted as broker and bought the shares and sent the physical certificates to your mother. Campbell O'Connor would have no further role after your mother got the certs. And you mother now has those share certificates but can't find them.

Is she getting dividends directly by way of cheque or paid into her bank account?

As Rusty says, check through your correspondence from the companies and from Campbell O'Connor. If you can't find any correspondence from Campbell O'Connor, it strongly suggests that they were not holding anything on your mother's behalf.

Likewise you can contact Cantor Fitzgerald to see if they have anything.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan. We are unable to locate any share certs ( assuming she got them- she cannot recall)

the only thing we have is a statement from Campbell as 26 euro was paid to by mother via cheque from them in 2018. I will contact Ava your Fitzgerald. What would usually happen if a share cert is lost?

If BoI shares are lost, unless there are lots of them, just forget about them.

There is a cost in getting duplicates which might exceed the value of the shares.

BoI might do some transaction in the future where they replace them with new shares which would solve the problem.

Contact their Registrars

1. I have a query in relation to my shareholding. Who do I contact?
All enquiries concerning stockholdings should be addressed to the Bank’s Registrar.
The Bank’s Registrar is:
Computershare Investor Services (Ireland) Limited, 3100 Lake Drive, Citywest Business Campus, Dublin 24, D24 AK82, Ireland.
Website: https://www-uk.computershare.com/Investor/contactus/default.asp
Telephone: + 353 1 247 5414,
Facsimile: + 353 1 216 3151.

Thanks Brendan. We are unable to locate any share certs ( assuming she got them- she cannot recall)

the only thing we have is a statement from Campbell as 26 euro was paid to by mother via cheque from them in 2018. I will contact Ava your Fitzgerald. What would usually happen if a share cert is lost?

As Brendan said if it’s a Cert for definite then you contact the registrar.

if held in account with Cantor they will find them quickly enough but will be held electronically. You can get an indication from them what their current value is and how much it would cost to dispose of them (subject to contract charge and commission)

Thanks all. I actually helped set it up- looking back through my emails I used to get an email every year where they stated that they held 27 euro on behalf of my mother and in 2018 they returned this.

I will get onto Computershare- the shares cost 8k back in 2013 but yes I have told my mother they will be worth a lot less now.

Thanks everyone for the replies. We found the share cert - my mother had it hidden away.
Can I find anywhere online how much they are worth as I know there has been share splits or similar since they were bought so it’s not a straightforward process of multiplying the shares by the price.

Ring the Registrar who will tell you how many shares you have and they may have a scheme for selling shares of small value.

Brendan

Could they be used to offset a CGT gain in the future ?

Very good point.

Bern

Let's say your mother bought the shares for €11,000 and they are now worth €1,000.

She can sell them and have a loss of €10,000

If she bought shares in Ryanair which have increased in value by €30,000, she will have to pay 33% Capital Gains Tax on the €30,000.

But she can set the BoI loss against the gain of €30,000 to reduce it to €20,000 and so pay €3,300 less CGT.

Brendan

Back