Campaign to Save RTE longwave

Bridget1984

What is your opinion on the campaign that has been going on for about 5 years now to stop RTE from closing down their Radio 1 longwave broadcast? The basis for the campaign is that elderly Irish people who have lived in England since the 50s & 60s would be without RTE for the first time in their lives because they can't use/afford new ways of listening such as smartphones, Sky, Cable TV etc.

Seems kinda patronising towards elderly Irish people.

Is it because they are elderly or because they are Irish that they are assumed to be incapable of listening on the internet. Or do you have to be both.

Last edited:
There's a campaign? So they've actual listeners. RTE must hate that. They don't seem to get the whole 'public service' broadcasting angle do they.

Longwave 252 RTÉ is the only station I can pick up on my rather ancient car stereo. Fm doesn't work.
There's also some French channel that gets mixed up with Radio one in places along the road.

Don't care, as long as BBC keeps Radio 4 longwave. (Mind you, nowadays I can get it in glorious digital, even in the car).

Longwave 252 RTÉ is the only station I can pick up on my rather ancient car stereo. Fm doesn't work.
There's also some French channel that gets mixed up with Radio one in places along the road.
It shares a frequency with an Algerian station.

Regarding the broader point. It is exceptionally hard to know how many people listen to Radio 1 on longwave. It could be hundreds or it could be tens of thousands.

Regular listenership surveys won't catch these people.

Personally I think there is some strategic benefit in maintaining different types of communications infrastructure.

I have a wind-up longwave radio in case the zombie apocalypse hits:)

Last edited:
Back