Cambodia Travel

daithid2000

Hi,

Think I finally have sorted what we are going to do on our honeymoon. Going the spend the first week in a plush hotel in Koh Samui, then flying to Cambodia and spending a week there, doing a tour of Angkor Wat and around Phnom Penh.

We were wondering if we would just fly to Camobodia and try and sort hotels out when we get there, in order to give ourselves a bit more freedom.

Has anyone else tried this, (would not want to be staying in hostels or the likes but would like to stay in nice hotels seeing as its the honeymoon!) and how easy was it to get around, or book stuff?

Thanks

HI ,
You might have more success with this question on lonelyplanet's thorntree forum, there'll be no shortage of Cambodia experts on there.
Go to www.lonelyplanet.com and follow directions for thorntree.

Trip Advisor is a great source of information on accommodation reviews.

Muz

We arrived in Cambodia on spec and sourced our accomodation when we got there. There are loads of travel agents in bangkok that can handle flights I would imagine they can book Hotels too. We stayed in a really nice guesthouse in Siem reap which our taxi driver brought us to but to be very honest we would have stayed anywhere at that stage -the taxi drivers are very pushy about bringing you to accomodation and recommending places -wouldnt bring us to thr places we wanted to go. It was 5 years ago when I went there and it was ok with a rucksack but I think if I was in your shoes I would book ahead and then have some one meet me -unless it has changed a LOT since I was there -You couldnt really wander around looking at places as it was all dirt roads and not many people walking on the street.
Accomodation In Siem reap seemed to be either very cheap or very expensive .
Ankor wat is amazing though well worth it

Hi there,

There is no shortage of nice hotels in Siem Reap but I would advise you to book ahead nontheless. Whatever you do, be sure to fly from Bangkok to Siem Reap, the overland border crossing is traumatic! While Siem Reap is a nice place to spend a couple of days, Temples of Angkor, floating village, nice bars and restaurants, Phnomh Penh is a different story. It is worthwhile seeing S21 and the Killing Fields but then leave as it is not the type of city you would stroll around. About 4 hours by bus south west is Sihanoukville, a fab beach.
We found Cambodia hard work to be honest, poverty everywhere, people begging and ripping you off at every corner... it wouldn't be my ideal honeymoon destination... one time we had breakfast on the beach and there were four people sitting beside us waiting for our leftovers. The country has never really recovered from the atrocities of the Khymer Rouge regime.