Calpe, Spain for 6 weeks: any advice?

Welfarite

I'm taking a sabbatical in Calpe for 6 weeks, July/Aug, this year. Is there anybody who has had experience of this area of Spain, tips about restaurants, bars, etc. what options from Alicante airport? Bus? Hired car? How far is it? Any info. gratefully accepted ....

We went there for 2 weeks holidays last summer and loved it.
Its a very family orientated spot, Most bars restaraunts closed before 1am and if you wanted any nightlife you had to venture into the old part of the town.
The beach was fantastic, and very safe for kids with a few pedal boats and kyaks for hire at very resonable rates.
there was an even split in numbers of germans, french , dutch and spainish and english speaking tourists, although there were very few Irish there.
Its about an 1 and quarter hrs drive from the airport and although our transfers were included in our holiday there is a public bus that goes from the airport to calpe.
There is a locla bus service that runs from one end of Calpe to the other and a very big open market that runs on a Saturday Morning, there are also plenty of large supermarkets and the price of food was very reasonable.
If its a quite relaxing sabbatical you are looking for then calpe is the place as although its close to benidorm, Its nothing like it, I don't think I noticed any disturbances or rowdiness once while we were there.
There is a wide range of restaurants with reasonable prices for all tastes. I did not see any bars as such as most seemed to be restaurants with a small abr although there are suppose to be some nighclubs in the old part of the town.

Thanks, Hoopman, for taking the time to post that! It sounds like the place I need to be!

No Problem Welfarite your very welcome. If you need to know anything more let me know.
By the way the beach is divided by a large rock shaped hill/cliff called the ifach. We stayed on the northern side of it and old town is situated on the south side of it. The beach on the northern side was the better of the two IMO.
We stayed in apartments called the hippocampus. very nice apartments with well equiped rooms and kithchens with most mod-cons.
Have a great break