Calling all car buffs - Audi A3 info needed

Mers1

Feedback on a car I have just spotted on a website (reputable dealer)

What do people think of the price for this type of car given the current climate and further info that should be known would be of great help, does anyone own one???????

Audi A3 1.9 Ambition Sportback (2006)
Make:

Audi

Model: A3 1.9 Ambition Sportback

Engine: 1.9 Diesel

Price: €18,950

Year: 2006

Colour- Red

Mileage:
23,750 miles / 38,222 kilometers

Owners: 1

Summary:
Air-conditioning, Armrest, CD Player, Electric Windows.

really why don't you post a link to the car ? instead of posting a badly formatted post

OP, you'll maybe find that people don't have great things to say about the 1.9TDI engine (regarded as old tech. at this stage).

Personally, I like these cars - but would sooner go for a Seat Leon.

Price seems about right (check similar cars on carzone to be sure). The car is newish with low mileage and its NCT is two years away; A3 holds its value well, so it seems like a good prospect. The sportsback is the five-door version so it's more practical, although the video review I looked at on on parker's says the boot it on the small side.

If you're paying cash you'd be looking for €1,000 to €1,500 off, although diesels are holding their value better than petrols these days.

The A3s are nice cars inside, seem very well made.

They are on the cramped side though, and it's basically a Golf underneath.

SSE

Avoid 1.9 TDI. A stone age tractor engine at this stage. A3 itself is ok, but expensive.

The average price on Carzone or CBG is little indication of value. Some of those are crazily priced.

Avoid 1.9 TDI. A stone age tractor engine at this stage. A3 itself is ok, but expensive.

The average price on Carzone or CBG is little indication of value. Some of those are crazily priced.

I have seen a few of your negative posts on the 1.9tdi vw audi engine and while you might have reasons for your view I can give you the other positive view it is one of the best diesel engines out there for fuel economy and reliabilty, I have seen them do over 300,000miles and still sound like new, it is an oldie but a goodie as they say,and does not need a particle filter as other car manufacturers have had to fit on their diesel engines to cope with emissions to meet the euro standards.
To a car nut or a tuned ear they might sound rough but to millions of normal people they are the business.

An Aga stove is reliable and long lasting too, but that's no reason to install one in a car

The later VAG 2.0TDI is light years ahead of that 1.9 nail.

The current (Jauary) issue of What Car magazine includes a 12 page feature comparing (the 2.0l diesel version of ) the A3 to the Golf TDI, BMW I series and the Honda Civic. I know it's not the engine you're looking at, but it might be worth a read anyway. In ranks them as follows:

1 - Golf
2 - 1 Series
3 - A3
4 - Civic

This is also a highly tuneable VAG engine (ASZ and BLT engine codes in particular), capable of 200+ bhp, mountains of torque, and in lots of examples, 60+ mpg.

It will be sadly missed, and its replacement, the 2.0l CR, has had DPF problems.

also remember that on the other end in a few years time, you will struggle to sell a 1.9. Much easier sell the 2.0L.
I tend to agree with most other posters: in the current market, why settle for the very old 1.9, when you'd easily get a 2.0L for similar money.

They did not have the new 2.0tdi in 2006.
I have an A4 1.9 tdi a bit noisy but 55 mph and very reliable.
My wife has an a3 sportback 1.6 a bit underpowered but a really good car.
Go for the 1.9tdi sportback it wont let you down

Go for the 1.9tdi sportback it wont let you down

hopefully it won't, because they'll struggle to sell it in a few years time. If it was an A4/passat/octavia/seat, fair enough, someone will find a need for it. But an unnecessarily expensive a3 with a decade old engine, already replaced with a new one light-years ahead, and with better cars in that class ... not a chance I would say, unless you find somone who isn't aware of the newer engine.
The difference in the 2 engines is immense too, not just the bhp difference.

I'm looking at changing car to diesel at the moment, and wouldn't even click on an ad thats 1.9. The 2.0 are the only way forward. Leave the Massey's to the farmers.
I think you'll find the general consensus whenever this arguement comes up (old 1.9 v new 2.0 diesels), is the same.

Buy the car with selling it in mind. Would you buy that 1.9 in 3 years time?

I considered the A3 1.6 when getting current car (1.6 focus connection), but the new 1.6FSI engine A3 was 32k! (the old 1.6 vag engine is also far too old at this stage, and has its problems), versus 23k for the focus, with every extra under the sun, and slightly more boot space. A no-brainer, albeit personal choice.

This isn't anti-vag or anti-audi, just anti old engines v new ones when it comes to reselling.

Last edited: