Call out charge for fridge repair

olddoll

My Hotpoint larder fridge, which is 5 years old, has stopped working (it is not chilling). The callout charge quoted by Hotpoint was Euro 114 plus parts. I was shocked. Is this a normal callout charge? Any advice welcome.

That's steep but I'm not familiar with call out charges so perhaps its not excessive by today's standards.

You could try giving www.mastercare.ie a call to see if they can give you any advice. They may be able to give you an idea of what the problem is and if the parts will be expensive. Check out their call out charge to see how it compares.

I paid €99 last year for a Creda/hotpoint engineer to replace a glass cooker hob, so I guess they've added a few quid to it for this year.

If you find someone locally, they may be able to tell you whether it's even repairable. My fridge broke down 2 yrs ago (at 7 yrs old), I called a local repairman who took a quick look, said it couldn't be repaired and didn't charge me for the visit! Shame I can't remember who he was.....:eek:

Very often fridges stop working because the thermostat sensor/switching unit fails and needs to be replaced. Replacing these is a c. €20-30 DIY job for somebody who has a bit of ability in this area.

I recently paid 80 euro for a call out from Zanussi which also included an hours labour. Had to have the thermostat changed which was another 39 for the part.

Had a problem with a washing machine last year(or maybe year before). Hotpoint callout quote was quite high so went with mastercare and got a considerably cheaper call out and he replaced the part too, all in about €60 - €70. Still less than just the callout from hotpoint.

Had a callout with a Hotpoint engineer earlier this year for our dishwasher. Although we were charged €114, he had to replace 2 parts which we were not charged for. Acc to the engineer, the cost of the parts would be more than the callout charge, but you would need to check if your fridge still qualified for free parts. Our dishwasher is 3yrs old.

Usually 5 years warranty on parts for Hotpoint/Indesit stuff. I wouldn't be sure if it covers all parts, or just specific parts.

Service charges for Hotpoint/Indesit are quite expensive alright.

If I thought that it might be the themostat unit that was gone (e.g. there was no other evidence of anything else being the problem) then I would try www.mastercare.ie for a spare and then fit it myself.

Contacted Mastercare. Service guy will call on Friday. Call out charge E50 plus parts. Hopefully he can solve the problem. Many thanks for your help.

fantastic guy in cork. he`ll travel all of north cork. 45.00 call out. hes a qualifies plumber and electrician. not sure if i can post his details though... can i ?

If Mastercare are calling out to the original poster then I presume that s/he's in Dublin so a Cork recommendation would not be of much use?

If Mastercare are calling out to the original poster then I presume that s/he's in Dublin so a Cork recommendation would not be of much use?

maybe not to OP or people in Dublin area but it could be of use to people in Cork-NorthCork-South Tipperary area perhaps!

:)

yep just a satisfied customer. found him in the yellow pages. Their called
"The Washine Machine Clinic", based in Mallow. The Father & Son run the business. Both qualifies electricians & plumbers. They fix all appliances... 45.00 call out. very nice people and very good at their work.

Back