call from Ulster Bank arrears support on 087 number. Genuine?

cmalone

Has anyone received a mobile phone message to call back a person claiming to represent Ulster Bank - ‘arrears support ‘ on her mobile. I called back and left message.

In the meantime I checked on UB online chat and chatted with an agent. He said a list of things not to do - don’t give any personal information , etc to such a caller.

A few minutes later a lady phoned back on the mobile and asked me to provide answers to security questions. I ask who she is and has she any proof of who she is - as the online chat advice , etc. I ask can she call me back from office tomorrow or email / write to me. She refused.

I do have an UB loan product and it is fully paid up per my bank account.

Is this typical in ‘covid ‘ world ?
mobile number was - 087 600xxxx

not typical in a COVID world, just another example of someone phishing. UB does have an arrears support unit but I cant see them ringing on an 087 number.

Hi,

Is it possible that some of Ulster Banks staff are working remotely, hence the mobile number?

That said, I would have expected them to be able to send you an email from their Ulster Bank email address, provide you with alternative details to contact the Bank etc.

Lady said call was being recorded. She also said she worked for the bank. However, she refused to write / email me. Still waiting on reply from ‘fraud section ‘. Her message said was urgent that I contact her and not a sales call. She wanted my name / account number / date or birth before she could talk to me. She got angry when I said the bank’s webchat agents gave me advice regarding such calls ..,

Yes. - hopefully other more ‘vulnerable’ members of the public won’t be subjected to this

Agreed - it was obviously a scam - beware ✅ reported to the bank but no update ... mobile number 087 ..,

I had the misfortune to deal with their Arrears "Support" Unit some years ago and aggressive calls after working hours from random phone numbers happened a number of times.

I don't know where they hire these people but they really were the worst, most obnoxious type of liar I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

Fortunately I’m not in the ‘arrears’ category yet - but I was nervous in case a payment hadn’t gone through or something. Unfortunately / still unsure if this was actually the bank or something suspicious. The Fraud Section are busy according the India based ‘customer support’ team

The fact that she wanted your account number suggests the call was fraudulent. Genuine customer support wouldn't ask you for this information as people don't typically memorise their account number or keep it somewhere close to hand.

Back