Call Blocking

Rujib

Hi,

We have a couple of teenagers, who simply do not take direction when it comes to use of the telephone to call their friends.
We are on the fixed contract of €25 per month with Esat BT for unlimited landline calls in Ireland, provided the calls do not exceed one hour.

The problem is, that our kids seem to insist on calling their friends on theie mobiles from our land line. Result is crazy costs and now few rows.

Is their anyway I can have a blocking mechanism installed to prevent the calling of mobile numbers from our land line. ie the calling of all numbers beginning with 08.

I know I am being a little drastic, but calls to mobiles exceeding €130 per month is something we cannot afford, and are no longer willing to put up with.

Thanks for any advice.

I know Eircom can do this - my sister in law has enabled for exactly the same reason as you - however in her case it prevents dialing any number starting with 0 - try ringing esat.

Look for phones (usually DECT) which implement call barring. As long as they don't go switching the phone to another non-call barring one :) The call-barring service offered by your telephony provider incurs a monthly charge.

Eircom offers mobile and premium rate barring service lets you bar all calls to mobiles, premium rate service (15xx) numbers and personal (0700) numbers. Monthly rental: [broken link removed] 3.07 (inc. VAT).

Smart charges €2 per month to block landline to mobile calls.

Esat BT (BT Ireland) offers this service for free.

Of course there is always a way for crafty teenagers to get around such blocks simply dialing 13636 before the blocked number will do it.

I use this Service with Cinergi Telecom, there was a 5 Euro setup fee then 2 Euro per month. compared to 25 Euro set up for Eircom and 4 Euro per month. Also I get all local and national calls for 11.99per month and unlimited broadband for 15.99 or 20hrs for 9.99.... I have a number for a rep if your interested

Back