California wild fires

elefantfresh

Don't know if any of you have been keeping up with the events in CA over the last week or so but I have relations in San Diego so it has been of high interest to me and my family. Was on the phone last night and the nearest fire was now only 2 miles away and not 100% under control. Its terribly frightening and distressing. I know Katrina caused mayhem etc but i guess because I had no connection with the place it "didn't matter" quite so much to me personally.
They got the call yesterday for evacuation and the van was packed with whatever they could get into it and the thoughts of leaving everything else they own behind was awful to hear it said last night. But the evac was cancelled as the weather turned for the better and checking on line today it looks like its been a "peaceful" night as such.
Sorry for rambling.

Yes Clubman - I've been over on a few occasions and while San Diego may well be one of the more affluent cities in the States, there is however as many poor and underpriviledged people as I've seen anywhere. There are neighbourhoods that people genuinely are even hungry. I was never as shocked and surprised to see this when brought around on my first ever trip there.
I feel that the response (government) is as much to do with the lack of respose over the Katrina disaster. The government both want and need to be seen to react appropriatly. However saying that, I was told yesterday that in the nearest rescue center to my family, the food and water was all supplied by local people gathering together to "weather the storm" rather than supplied by any federal assistance.

The Governator seems to be doing a good job of managing thinks there. It shlod also be remembered that California on it's own is one of the biggest economies in the world so they shouldn't be short of the few bob to sort this out.