Caleta de Fuste Fuerteventura any opinions

TOFFEEPOD

Hi just thinking of going to Caleta de Fuste in May or early June for a week or 10 days for a sun holiday,would anyone recommend things to do or not to do here? or any other opinions on the island in general.

Hi Toffeepod,
I've been to Fuerteventura a couple of times. I've gone in november and March and absolutely loved it! we stayed in Cotillo which is a small village north west of caleta, it has amazing lagoons and one very long beach which is a mecca for water sports. the village itself is lovely, its quiet - there are no nightclubs, but there are some great restaurants, probably the best known one is the blue cow. we also stayed in moro jable in jandia which is to the south of the island. this is another great area with fantastic beaches that stretch for miles, it is quite built up but because of the length of the beaches you will never feel you are in a crowd. if you have transport try and get to betancuria - its in the mountains, the drive to it is unforgettable! the roads are really steep and narrow but the village is beautiful, well worth a visit. First time i went to corralejo which is north of caleta on the coast, i didnt like it, but went again visited the old port area and that was quite nice, but most of it is very much like any other resort in the canaries. if you drive from caleta towards correlejo you will pass some amazing sand dunes and lagoons the colours will just amaze you - am so jealous - would love to be heading over there this summer, you'll have a brilliant time and you will definitely be going back!

Thanks for that MOFFY01,
Lot of good ideas and opinions there, anyone else on here who have been to Fuerteventura and Caleta de Fuste especially any feed back would be appreciated.

Fuerte is lovely - I've been there three times. Once to Caleta and twice to Corralejo. Corralejo much livlier but still by no means jammed with clubs etc - just lively relatively speaking. It's still low key compared to the other main Canaries - even to PDC on Lanzarote.

I liked both. Caleta is nice, small, quiet and lazy (by day and night) but has enough restaurants and bars to keep you occuped for 10 days. A few shops. Any longer and you might struggle unless you like a very laid back holiday.

Not a huge amount to do activity wise on the island unless you are into watersports and love beaches. The beaches are absolutely fantastic especially up near Corralejo. Worth hiring a car and driving around a bit anyway though. Roads are good, quiet and mostly new.

If I think of anything specifically in relation to Caleta (restaurants etc) I'll post back.

Fuerteventura/Caleta de Fuste

Hi Toffeepod,

Have a look at http://www.fuerteventura.com/index.shtml . This will give you loads of info. on the island.

Caleta de Fuste is only 10 mins away from the airport, about €10 in a taxi or €1.30 on the local no. 3 bus. The resort is split in 2, one end is down near the marina and beach and the other is up a steep hill. There is more to do in the beach end regards restaurants, bars etc It is a very laid back resort and never gets particulaly crowded. If you're into watersports, you can jet ski, go scuba diving, go on fishing trips etc from the harbour in Caleta.

If you're going with kids, it's perfectly safe. If not, it's still perfectly safe. I would recommend the following restaurants in Caleta: O'Fado Portuguese, El Patio, Fado Rock and Nestors. Pieros Bar/Club has nightly entertainment and is normally packed. Another busy pub is The Flower of Scotland and if you fancy a bit of blue English humour, drop into The Slap and Tickle.

There is a biggish shopping centre in Caleta, it's called the Atlantico Centre. There are loads of bars/restaurants, boutiques, jewellery shops and a Spar Supermarket for all your cheap liguid needs. The centre is no more than a 15 min walk along the beach promenade so you can catch some rays en route.

The weather in May/June should be good and won't be chilly at night. The island though, can get very windy so tie everything down! (Fuerteventura means Strong Winds in Spanish)

If you're hiring a car, use www.payless.es. You don't pay in advance and they have a very good reputation. I have used them numerous times without any problems. If you're going as an independent traveller and not with a travel agent, I would recommend any of the Barcelo hotels in Caleta. If you're booking somewhere, you can e-mail me and I'll let you know if it's a good choice or not.

The island is only about 120kms long so you could drive it easily in 1.5 hours. Driving over in Fuerte is easy but watch out for the police at the roundabouts, some people have been fined for not slowing down quickly enough coming up to the roundabout:mad:

I am probably rambling on a bit now, but I have a place there and love it:D

Have a great time:)

Back