Calculating winnings on the Grand National

Bubbly Scot

We let the kids chose a horse each to back in the grand national. we put 2.50 each way on each horse and one of them came 5th with odds of something in the region of 14-1 (Bewleys "something or other"). Bookies are paying out for fifth place.

Decided it would probably cost more in petrol to go specially to pick up the winnings but I'd love to be able to tell her what she won. Can someone calculate it for me?

Hi BS and congatulations!

I had the same bet but for €5 ew on paddypower.com

this is what my docket looked like.

Selection Selection Details Result 1 Horse Racing Place AINTREE 4:15 THE GRAND NATIONAL 4m 4f 5th of April 2008 4:15pm Win or Each Way 1/4 places 1,2,3,4,5 Bewleys Berry @ 12/1
Stake and Return Details Bet placed at 5th of April 2008 2:16pm Total Stake €10.00 Bet Type Single (Each-Way) Tax@Tax Free 0 Number of Lines 2 Total Stake Due €10.00 Stake per Line €5.00 Freebets Redeemed €0.00 Channel Internet Total Amount Paid €10.00 Number of win lines 1

Number of Void Lines 0 RETURNS €20.00

So your €2.5 ew will retun €7.50 (12/1 /4 =3/1) and your stake €2.50. €10 awaits you in the bookies.

Oooohhh wow! now to decide what to spend it on. Okay, I lied, it was MY horse that came in 5th.

But then my hubby (who's never set foot in a bookies in his LIFE) was cheering on the horse that came second thinking it was his!!

Maybe we should stick to the lotto!

Thanks, ajapale, don't spend all YOUR winnings at once now, will you?

OP if you took the price (14 to one) then it's one quarter of that so 3.5 by your bet of 2.5 = 8.75 plus your 2.5 back. You lose the 2.5 win part of the bet.
Mine fell at the canal turn but hubby had the winner, kids thought he had cracked up he was shouting so loudly at the TV, child number 1 was crying coz her horse fell at the second and she wanted to have the winner and couldn't understand why she picked the wrong one.

hi, just in case you dont know paddy power refunded all losing bets for the national. They advertised it on their doors (well my local did) if their chosen horse which was the winner 'comply or die' won they would give you your money back.
Everyone here in my house chose a horse costing €30. Not 1 of them came anywhere but my husband went back in with the ticket and they gave him the full €30 back.

Maybe your husband put the bet on there.

Unfortunatly it wasn't Paddy Power, but our local bookie was offering to pay back your bet if your horse came second to the favourite. Which none of them did.

Bronte, my husband was the same!!! shouting and dancing, dogs barking, kids yelling. The celebration when his came second!!....and then the results came up naming a different horse!

Unfortunatly it wasn't Paddy Power, but our local bookie was offering to pay back your bet if your horse came second to the favourite. Which none of them did.

Bronte, my husband was the same!!! shouting and dancing, dogs barking, kids yelling. The celebration when his came second!!....and then the results came up naming a different horse!
Why? was it not King John's Castle after all?

hi, just in case you dont know paddy power refunded all losing bets for the national. They advertised it on their doors (well my local did) if their chosen horse which was the winner 'comply or die' won they would give you your money back.

I had bet online with Paddy Power and checked my account balance after reading this post. As I hadn't been refunded my losing bets on the Grand National, I emailed Paddy Power Customer Support.

They replied back to me stating: "Any offers in the Paddy Power shops would be different to any offers seen on our online site"

This doesn't seem fair! Surely its all Paddy Power??

This doesn't seem fair! Surely its all Paddy Power??
It's entirely fair.

Different Paddy Powers have different promotions.

My local shop pay evens on 4/5, 5/6, 9/10 & 10/11, some shops don't and it's also not available online for example.

The offers differ due to the location of the bookies, how they are competing with other local bookies and various other main stream marketing notions.

They are entitled to have different offers in any way they choose - as long as they are upfront about it. For example - just because one shop in a chain of shops is giving a discount on a product, doesn't mean that all shops have to give the same discount.

Probably should have read

I read all of it thanks! but like the poster the second to Paddy Power's favourite thing was irrelevant, as they hadn't placed the bet there nor had I. I had however an each way on King John's Castle which I haven't collected yet and I thought (maybe incorrectly) that he came in 2nd.

Back