Cafe Paradiso

Gerbera

Hi

Has anybody been to the restaurant Cafe Paradiso in Cork City and if so, does it come recommended? It's a vegetarian restaurant and quite costly, looking on their website. I don't mind that it is expensive but I've read that their portions are a bit on the small side so would like some feedback before booking anything.

I love it - real proper food cooked with care. Focuses on the tastes, cooking in season. When I went, I was very full - but I'd 3 courses and probably not a huge appetite.

You could go there for lunch - very similar dishes. Would give you a chance to try things out.

I go there everytime I'm in Cork. I'm not a vegetarian, but I would eat a lot of vegetarian food as standard and hence would never miss the meat.

Dennis Cotter is the Chef, he did the guerrilla gourmet? Programme on RTE where he set up a "restaurant" for the night in a cattle mart - of course it was vegetarian.

I eat there whenever in Cork, and I agree with dem-syhp. As a vegetarian it's a delight to be served tasty, fresh and inventive food, my other half is a vegan and they had no problem adapting meals for him. I found the portions just perfectly sized. It's very busy at night and would recommend booking in advance, the last time we were there we must have seen a dozen sets of people turned away.

It's expensive and yes, portions are generally small. Lunch is more affordable, but still not cheap. As a slightly cheaper alternative I would recommend the Triskel cafe, which unfortunately is not open at nght.
However, the food is great. In particular, the desserts are superb. Great (and pricey) wine list too. Some dishes are quite hearty, e.g. pasta dishes (but not ravioli or any stuffed pasta) or tortilla.
To sum up, I think it's a really special place with great food, but slightly overpriced. It's the best restaurant in Cork, with the possible exception of the Ivory Tower, which with its predilection for serving up small fowl still oozing blood,not a veggie-friendly option.

Enjoy.

Food is excellent. Am not a veggie so had been holding off going there due to relatively high cost and lack of meat. Finally went in about 6 weeks ago and found it to be very good - will definetly go back.

I was dragged there screaming recently and was shocked that a dish (or two courses) without any meat could taste so good. Definitely worth it, but only as an occasional indulgence IMO. Prices are hefty, but then again, if they are filling their seats at these prices, why would they lower them.

Excellent, thank you everyone for your feedback. Boyfriends birthday coming up, so we'll definitely be trying it out.

I brought a carnivorous husband there and he was quite happy with it. I really loved it and thought it was money well spent as the food was unusual (without being pretentious) and very well cooked. As another post has said, I would recommend it as a treat occasion.

great, great place, as a vegetarian it's such a treat to be able to go to a restaurant and have such a huge choice, it is a little expensive but well worth it and any wines i've ever had there have been superb too. i have a large appetite and i've never left feeling hungry.
you can also stay there, the breakfasts are amazing too.