Cadiz or Granada

BCPK

I'm spending a week in south spain during first week of December. Going to do a couple of days in Marbella and a couple in Seville. That leaves me with 2/3 days to spend elsewhere. Torn between Granada (alhambra sounds cools) and Cadiz. Any recommendations?

Both are fantastic. Cadiz old town is really special - surrounded by the sea - lovely old buildings and streets and there are some really good restaurants. Nice place to walk around and the city beaches are lovely too - It might be a bit windy in December but should be warm -

Granda is also fantastic - the Alhambra is well worth a visit and will take a couple of hours to walk around. There is also a beautiful Paradore there -you can get special deals on the Paradore hotels - so might pick up a bargain night or two. It is removed from the town and very quiet. There is a real sense of fun in Granada - might be a bit chilly there but plenty to see and do.
Lucky you I'd go to either and be so happy!

Thinking of a break in Cadiz myself but unsure whether to stay in Jerez or Cadiz? I read somewhere that El Puerto de Santa Maria is actually nicer than Cadiz but ony acroos the bay by ferry? Any thoughts?

Have stayed in Cadiz - which has an old town and new town. I prefer the old town and have stayed in the Parador there which overlooks ocean - its simple and a typical parador. Very quite at night, bar not open after midnight. Most of the hotels are in the newer part of town which is quite sprawling along a beautiful bay and they all look nice and would probably have ocean views. Good shopping in new part of town with a large shopping centre.

Jerez is very nice too - have done sherry tour there, all the major sherry houses have tours and its an interesting thing to do. Its smaller than Cadiz and equally nice in a different way.

You could stay in either Cadiz or Jerez and visit the other one if you have car, they are close. Have driven through El Puerto de Santa Maria and its much smaller - would think you are better staying in either Cadiz or Jerez. The coastline is lovely along here with fabulous beaches but it is very open and can be very windy even in high Summer.

Back