Cabot/belgard

Cossie39

This has probably been asked before. Ive had past issues ( gambling addiction) but nearly 3 years free now. Im working through my debts bit by bit. When i was gambling i completely ignored all letters and nothing ever happened. Ive been receiving letters from belgard solicitors for a bill of 1k. Its for past phone bill. I have not engaged with them in any shape or form. I received a 2nd letter today stating i had 4 days to pay up or they will take me to my local district court. Have they the power to do this? Should i engage with them? This crowd harassed me with calls until i blocked them. Since i have a clear mind now, im unsure what to do. Will this affect me im future? Credit rating? I cant really afford to pay anything at this stag all advice greatly appreciated. If i engage with them they will play hardball with me? Will they really take me to court?

Credit rating:The phone companies use a private credit rating system between themselves,so you could have difficulties getting a new bill pay contract.

Belgard:Will they take you to court?They might,but in my experience,they just keep sending letters in a series then give up.
(Was the first a 7 day notice?)
Then they send an offer(% discount).
The debt collection could also be passed to some of the other agencies for them to have a go(Dun and Bradstreet,Experian etc)

Yes they have done exactly like u said so far. Im on another bill pay contract the past few yrs..never missed a payment. So ill be fine there. Im not going to engage with them in any shape or form. Ill have no problem going back to original creditor to pay them back when im in a posotion to do so

Will they really take me to court?

Unlikely they will litigate for €1k but if you receive a claim notice in the post they are seeking judgement. Without a judgement there's nothing they can to enforce payment, other than letters/calls to scare you in to paying. If they harass you complain to the guards. This debt will not show on your credit record.

I have received 2 letters threathening court now. In the most recent letter they said they would take me to the local district court. I know im wrong with the debt. But i wont engage with this crowd unless i get a judgment against me

Hi Cossie39. How did this play out ? Did you get taken to court ? I received a letter from Belgard Solicitors saying if I don't pay full amount in 4 days they'll be taking me to the district court. I don't know what to do? :(

Back