Cabot/Avant

blurch

My wife passed away last April after a short illness.
She had two credit card accounts with Avant.
As she was in hospital for a while I used most of her funds too clear one of the accounts. Avant refused to discuss the second account with me despite a letter from her consultant stating she was incapacitated (Coma). In fact they were quite rude, which got me riled.
On closing her bank account the monies left was used to pay towards the funeral. I have advised Avant that she has no assets except for €35 left in the bank.
They continued to write to me on a monthly basis in regards to this unsecured debt.
Until today I received a letter addressed to the Representatives from Cabot. Claiming they have purchased this debt. and are asking for the representative to Admit to the debt. How should I proceed with this frankly after the attitude of Avant, I am inclined to let them swing as I have had no contract etc with them. Or should I just make them a offer to clear it with a small amount that I can afford.

Thanks Stephen, All she had was used to pay off one account leaving €35.00 in her account. I paid the funeral expenses other than that there were no other debts to pay. This is a unsecured debt does it still have to be cleared as it stands I can not afford the sum do I make an offer of the amount I can afford again I have no contract with either party and gave no guarantees nor did I admit to the debt.

Did she have a share in the family home?

If so, in theory, they could seek a judgement for the amount and secure it.

If not, you should simply write to them telling them that she has no assets.

Brendan

Hi Brendan, on the advise of the solicitor who done my will, I took her name of the title deeds on the house. This was done and confirmed by the land registry.