'Cable Guy' installation short cuts..

brian.mobile

Just wondering what you all think of the 'practice' of some cable guys who throw cables over roofs, tack cables to walls in the most direct routes to your TV. This was done in my mother's place. Shame I wasnt there at the time to ask for it to be channeled through the attic. It looks crap and will no doubt fray, move in the wind.

I mean lobbing a cable over the pitched roof and down the other side is hardly neat cable-man-ship is it?

I've seen cables tacked diagonally across walls!

Keep an eye on the proposed routes folks...seems like a bad deal for anyone getting an instalation done.

BM

In the past many roofs were damaged when installers (maybe homeowners themselves?) tried to route the cables under tiles or slates- the tile/ slate cracks or is loosened and comes down in the next storm! So I can see why installers avoid disturbing roof coverings; there's also a significant health and safety issue with access to a roof- the roof may be slippery, fragile or in poor repair- if there's a leak later the installer gets blamed when perhaps the roof is defective anyway? Cables should never be diagonally routed along walls, that's not acceptable. I've seen good and bad cable installations...

I had my sky installed last week. House south facing at the back so dish had to go there. Cable guy put it as neat as possible just below guttering on back of house, over the roof in a neat line, tacked down along the guttering between my house and next door and drilled a small hole through the brickwork and into the cable box.

I told them I was not getting a telephone so I have no unsightly wires everywhere inside the house.

Was happy enough with the installation, it looks neat and the wires even outside are hardly visible. The dish is put in a place that it is not obvious either.

Some of the other cable jobs on the adjoining houses are absolutely awful, white wires dragged horizontally across the front of the roof, wires going in through the front door, etc.

Have to say, the guy knew what he was about and very professional with his work. Was very happy with the installation and I am a fusspot.

I got the wires thrown over the roof of the house, but i requested this. the dish had to be placed at the rear of the house, and the alternative to putting wires on roof was to go into attic, down from attic through bedroom, through floor into sitting room, or int house from back and through kitchen across width of sitting room to tv.

I considered the options and it was me who suggested putting cable over roof. The tiles are dark in colour as is the cable and it was v neat and professionally done, could not find fault with it.

Back