Cabin Luggage Dimensions -How strict?

Newbie!

I just noticed that the cabin luggage sizes for Aer Lingus and Ryanair is 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. We just bought a case which is 55 x 38cm x 28cm. Is this a definite no-no?

you can try your luck, but they'll be within their rights to force you to check it. On the A330's the bag can go on it's side in the bins, so going from 20cm thick to 28cm isn't a problem, it's the A321's that it may not fit in.

Well I've often travelled with carry on bags that were one or 2 cms over the limit, but 8..... I'd say it will be hard for them not to notice it! I'd expect a lot will depend on the flight you are taking, if is a regularly scheduled flight with not too many passengers (= less carry on bags), you might swing it.

Good luck

Jim.

And if you don't!! Better to but the real thing, Debenhams Tripp have a very lite weight (2.8k) thats OK for cabin.

Just got 1 delivered today as don't want to chances with Ryanair.

A bit cheaper on the web with free delivery.

Thanks, back to store it goes so!! Monagt I almost bought that one but got swayed by a hard case one on four wheels..should have stuck to the the first one..

Aer Lingus seem to be flexible on any flight I've been on. Ryanair are horrendous and each airport in each country can be slightly different. Weigning scales in Holland, having to put handbag into other bag in Dublin, people in Spain having to put the bag in the 'bag sizer,' if you can squash it into that and it's the correct weight you should be fine. Someone on hear once mentioned they had a box that the bag had to fit into somewhere but that I've never come accross.

Aer Lingus sometimes have the hand-baggage sizers on flights departing Dublin ... they tend to have a relatively pragmatic approach and only enforce in cases where the flight is very full ... I think that there's a bit of wiggle room in those gauges (especially with softer bags), but if they are enforcing you'd struggle with an 8cm too deep bag with hard side.

last tuesday coming from malta to dublin,at the boarding gate, ryanair were asking most people with cabin luggage to place in the bag sizer. i think about 4 people were above the weight limit and paid the appropiate fee.

Don't even consider a bag 28cm deep. It simply won't fit in the sizer of either Ryanair or Aer Lingus and it will cost E35.00 to put it in the hold. You could almost buy a new one for that and have peace of mind.

You don't necessarily need a very expensive one as you will be the only one using it. If it were going in the hold it would need to be much more robust.

I recently purchased a digital weighing scales which I take with me. This is a very neat lightweight but strong one about the size of a 20 cigarette box and cost E7.00 including P&P

Back