C drive memory almost full

tomred

Hi,

I normally save down my DVD clips from the Camcorder to my C drive. As of now my C drive is almost full. Is the normal to try and store data such as this on some sort of external memory device? Also, can an almost full C drive slow down your computer?

Thanks
Dermot

Yeas and Yes.

An external high-capacity drive is what you need. You will need to clean down your C: to rescue space and help speed things up.

There's a number of threads on the site already with recommendations, prices, links, etc. The search facility is your friend .

Buy an external hard drive from the likes of PC World or Currys etc and back up all your stuff from your C drive.

Drives are as cheap as chips these days.

Hi,

I have read quite a bit on the site but would still like some more input. I went into PC word today and one of the options they put forward was to back up online for c. €100 euro a year. This has the advantage of being permanently available online provided you pay the yearly subscription. Is this worth doing?

Secondly, If I stick with the option of the external high capacity hard drive and move my data drom the c drive to this device do I then have to buy a 2nd one to back up the data that is now only stored on the external hard drive?

Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with online storage but the problem is time. If you have a large volume of files, uploading could take a fair bit of time as with most broadband providers here the upload speed is very slow.

Get an external drive and its a simple cut and paste job.

Sites like flickr, photobucket, etc. offer online picture and movie storage for free (with certain limitations).

I've never had a problem with Western Digital hard drives, or Toshiba for that matter.

The cheapest option if it's a desktop computer (of reasonably recent vintage) and you are have a tiny bit of manual ability is to put an internal hard drive into the computer. The result will be much faster performance. There are loads of tutorials online, and it doesn't take much skill.

If you want to go external, check to see if your computer has eSATA or Firewire, and get on of those drives - they will perform better for you.

As regards having a backup, you should always have a backup on another drive, even what's on your C drive - the drive in your computer can fail and if it does all your data will be lost.

This whole argument is redundant, when you consider that the likes of Aldi and Lidl are selling 1 terrabyte drives for the ridiculously low price of 79 or 80 euro.

These drives, for the benifit, of non computer literate people, can so easily be used for all kinds of backup.

Some of us weren't arguing, simply providing advice - like buying an external hard drive