byebyebyebyebyebyebye

computerman

Why do people when finishing a phone conversation, instead of just a "bye", say "bybybybybybybybyby" , its dismissive and can be construed that the person saying it is too busy and insincere..........

It's definitely an Irish thing, I have Irish friends who do it all the time (I'm Scottish) and yes, initially I felt they couldn't wait to get rid of me. Now I find it faintly amusing.

Maybe they DO want to get rid of me........

In case you didn't hear me say bye the first time

Without dragging your thread offtopic another is saying "day day" to infants. Everyone does it! Wonder how that one started

In case you didn't hear me say bye the first time

Without dragging your thread offtopic another is saying "day day" to infants. Everyone does it! Wonder how that one started

That used to drive me crazy. I always said if I had a kid I would not use "baby talk". Now I do it all the time and dont see a problem with it.

One of lifes mysteries

Another one is when the person whom you are speaking too keeps saying OK>OK>OK>OK..that seems very dismissive also.

Alwys say it myself when talking to my own family though. My mother & sisters all do it to each other but do not do it to anyone else! Even my DD when small on her toy phone used to do it as she was listening to me!

Dearest Daughter! I would guess that fobs is an avid reader/member of another website related to Irish mothers!

I took a stroll over to a well known Irish wedding site one day, it's a different language over there

DH, DS, DD, SO, DF

I thought I was in an aviation forum reading codes!

Was reading all these posts about baby dancing, ah that's cute I thought.
I used to dance around the room with my younger brother, cute. He loved it

Well I sure assumed wrongly

For those who remember The Riordans, Tom used always say Ah Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello

Why do people when finishing a phone conversation, instead of just a "bye", say "bybybybybybybybyby" , its dismissive and can be construed that the person saying it is too busy and insincere..........

Overheard in South Kerry on ending a mobile conversation: gluk,gluk,gluk,gluk,gluk,gluk,gluk! (hint: Good Luck).

My father never liked saying good-bye - his sign-off was 'rightnow, rightnow, rightnow.... right, right, right,.... rightnow' before hanging up.

I've also heard the Cork one: "Gwan away from me now", which is kind of mildly offensive, but then again this is Cork you're talking about....