Buying within travel distance of Ballsbridge

A

annne

Hey there
I'm a first time buyer with a limited budget looking at buying a 2/3 bed house/apart anywhere in Dublin within reasonable travel distance of Ballsbridge.

I'd love to be as close to city as possible and also feel safe.

Ive looked a little at Crumlin, Drimnagh and Ballyfermot but Im wondering are there other areas with reasonable transport links that Im overlooking.

I would probably get a lot more value for money ( eg size and and age of house) in places like Blanchardstown, Ballbriggan but they look like they would be too far from work.

Any words or comments at all would be most welcome!!!

Just starting out and finding it all very daunting

you might want to disclose your budget as it's hard to advise without that.

would you be planning on driving or using public transport? as ballsbridge is on the dart line then areas like kilbarrack/bayside/sutton might offer better value or shankill/ballybrack. also the 7 bus goes from cherrywood/loughlinstown through ballsbridge and the 45 goes from bray there also.

Thanks!
Well budget is at lower end unfortunately, about 200,000. I could drive (parking is ok)but would prefer to use public transport. I have to be on Northumberland Road by 8am

Thanks for your help so far.

well the 18 bus goes to ballsbridge from Palmerstown through Ballyfermot, Walkinstown, Crumlin and Drimnagh so they might be worth checking out.
[broken link removed]
I'm not sure how quick the 18 gets to BB from there as it's rather a circuitous route, maybe ask over on Boards for up to date info on that route on the commuting and transport forum
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=246

Given the way rents are I'd rent somewhere a bit closer to Ballsbridge first (obviously depends on your circumstances).

Theres a direct train from Clonsilla/Blanchardstown to Landsdowne in the morning.

Its only about a 40 mins cycle.

I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to cycle but thanks!
Yeah Im seriously looking at Cabra, but will also take a look at Clonsilla/ Blanch as well.
Had a look at a house in Drimnagh yesterday and just wasn't feeling the whole area.

Its actually a nice route through the park, kilmanham, then down the canal. Cycle path most of the way, and almost no buses, trucks on the route. But its not for everyone. I only manage it couple of times a week.

The train is doable but its usually packed at peak, standing only. Takes about an hour door to door. Driving is ok, if you go early and outside of peak as much as possible. Assuming you have parking where you are going. Can take anywhere from 30 mins to 90 mins.

Thanks for the input.
Got my approval from bank today so Im going to go out and test the waters and see if there is a bargain to be had!
Im going to start with Cabra first I think and take it from there!

My advice to you is to try and get your thinking clear on what youre looking for...
for example; do you want to be as near to work as possible? If so, then areas such as Clonsilla and Blanch are probably out of the equation.
If house size is the most important then obviously the further you go out of town the more sq. footage you get for your money - if so D15 is probably right for you.
Is a house or apt. best for you? Cabra, Crumlin and Ballyfermot don't have alot of apts - compared to areas such as Blanch, Clonsilla etc.
Are you willing able to consider buying a run down house and doing a refurb? If so, theres lots of these in former corpo. areas such as Ballyfermot, Crumlin etc.

Best thing you can probably do is go out and view as many areas and homes as possible to get a general feel of what each areas offers. Once you've done that you will start to narrow the search down as you will realise that you could never be happy in some of the areas you mention. Then you can start to worry about the actual property..

Crucially if you are considering an area you need to see how the area is at different times of the day eg if you view on a Sat then the traffic volume will not be large in any area - it will of course be very different in that area during rush hour.

If you do opt for an area you should be careful about which estates, streets you go for... theres lots of good, bad and ugly areas in most of the neighbourhoods you mention.

In case its relevant I bought a house in Lower Ballyfermot about 7 years ago and also looked in Drimnagh and Crumlin during my search... so I know these areas reasonably well - give me a shout if you want more specific advise on these areas. Also there are lots of threads on all these areas within these forums.

Best of luck - remember you're in a buyers market

Take your time looking. August is traditionally the slowest month for house selling/buying, and anyone waiting to put their place on the market would wait till Sept to do so.
The No. 10 Bus goes to Ballsbridge from the Phoenix Park so somewhere along that route could be another option.

Cool, thanks guys lots of good advice there.
I'm pretty sure I want a house and I'd prefer closer and knowing I will have to do a bit of work on it and that its prob going to be the smaller side.

I used to commute in from a bit further out the Navan Rd ( and it was generally grand) so I know the time it takes which is why Im thinking of Cabra as oppossed to further out like Blanch/ Clonsilla. There are houses there at the mo within my price range, and the ones that need a huge amount of work ( rewiring, totally new kitchen, everything really) are not that much less than others in better shape.
Ideally I want one that needs redecorating but not total gutting/ starting from scratch.

Im looking at a house there tomorrow so to get a feel for whats there and what the street/ area is like.

I drove in around Drimnagh and had a look at one house during the week and just wasn't feeling the vibe. I think the nicer parts of Drimnagh/ Crumlin which would be good location wise for getting to work are just out of my price range.
But I will keep having an eye out there, so I may be back to you yet Macstuff!

Thanks sadie, I will see what happens in Spet so.

Great advice thanks again!