Buying used car from UK main dealer

comraid

Hi

Has anyone any recent experience with buying a used car from UK. I am thinking of going over this weekend to buy a good used Subaru Outback which is certified by main dealer. Even with STG changeover and the dreaded VRT it will be about 4K cheaper than here. Any thoughts / pitfalls ??

Thanks

I'd go for it. I did this last year, and purchased from a main dealer (they tend to have the best cars).

One thing: if the car is too old to have the original manufacturer's warrenty (which tends to be longer in the UK than here), and which should be honoured anywhere in the EU, it'll be covered by one supplied by the dealer. This is of very limited value to you (you'll hardly bring it back if there's a problem): ask them the price without it.

The main thing though is to bargain very hard: you've no trade in and are there to buy, not mess around.

I searched on the net, and came up with a shortlist of three cars: the first I saw was fine, they were willing to negotiate on price, so I got that.

The main thing though is do your research on the specific type of car you're after.

Best of luck!

Definitely go for it. Sterling has weakened about 4% in the last 6 weeks, and real value starting to emerge. I bought in August over there, got a top spec'd model (a model that never launched in Ireland) for €1.5k less than a bog standard equivalent here on a purchase price of 8k stg. And that was when rate was at 1.495

i did the same - would do it again
one note though - make sure the dealer gives you the british vehicle registration cert - he may tell you he needs to send it to the dvla in swansea but he doesnt if the vehicle is leaving the country - you will need it to register it here.

Good luck!

I think the spec of outback is almost exact same as Irish one

UK subaru dealers should offer very good cash discounts - be looking for around 10% unless car is priced very competitively

New model out earlier this year so assuming your buying the last model you should get even better deal

Just in case I'd make sure it is a subaru dealer - are they listed on www.subaru.co.uk ?

Subaru warranty period is three years in UK and Ireland.

They eat tyres - I'd push for a new set if possible and they are at all worne - oh don't forget to get subaru mats from them before you finalise deal.