Buying UK car no log book

Madilla

My daughter had placed a deposit on a damaged UK car & the NI garage she is buying from is also doing all the repairs. She placed the deposit on the car at the end of October & the garage hoped to have the car ready at the end of November. However there have been delays & now although the car is ready the garage have no log book. The car has been booked in to do VIC test on Friday evening but it will take some time after this before log book is received. I phoned NCT who say the log book is required to import car. I had hoped maybe VIC test cert would suffice. It seems therefore it will be new year before can import car & will have to pay 17% VRT instead of current 14% a difference of €200. The garage have suggested they can rent the car to her until log book is available & as far as I can see this short term rental is legal. She has sold her own car so has no car at the minute & needs car ASAP. However the garage want full payment for the car now. They will issue invoices for rental and also purchase.She would take the car only after VIC test passed. I wonder what are the risks of this? Also wondering if this too risky would she be entitled to get deposit of £1100 back as the garage have not honoured their deal in the timeframe for repair?

Can she get the deposit back? What terms did she hand it over on?

Personally, I'd run a mile from this. There are literally 1000s of cars for sale: if there is anything even slightly questionable or problematic about any car you're looking at buying, there are plenty more out there to choose from. Why take any risk?

Run a mile from this. Its got disaster written all over it.

Losing the deposit might be cheaper in the long run.