Buying school uniforms.

UptheDeise

Hi folks, does anyone know why some schools demand that the school uniform can only be purchased in certain shops?

I think this is disgraceful as parents can't shop around to save money.

I suppose the answer would be to lobby the board of management of the school and make enquiries as to the validity of their uniform choices. I too feel that crests for jumpers should be available seperately to reduce costs. My DD's tracksuit sweatshirts costs €23.99 wheras the same quality one is available in Dunnes for €6 but doesn't have the required crest.

I agree with the separate crest too- that would be great. As it stands I have to buy a completely standard crew neck grey jumper in a horrible rough fabric just because it has the crest on it, whereas I could buy a lovely soft cotton crew neck grey jumper just about anywhere else for less money and just stick the crest on it. ( As long as they were iron-on, I'm allergic to needle and thread).

My childrens school is very good when it comes to this. The uniform with the crest on is avilable at a local shop, but it's not compulsory to have to purchase one of these. Same with the tracksuits and the t-shirts.

I think this is disgraceful as parents can't shop around to save money.

I agree.

Haven't thought about this in years as it doesn't affect me directly now - but I'm sure my parents had plenty to say about it at the time.

Our nominated shop (the only one) was easily the most expensive in town BTW. Some pupils were actually sent home for daring to show up in other variations of the uniform.

I suppose the idea is to maintain 'uniformity of uniform' (do you see what I did there?) but it was a lazy and expensive way of doing it.

I believe the whole idea of uniforms should be abolished.

Why should all our children have to dress the same?

Well the classic reasoning is that there would be a slippery slope into poor dress code /mad hairstyles/make up etc and that it helps avoid competition where poorer or less trendy pupils would stand out/be victimised etc. I tend to agree.

I like the uniform idea as it is a blessing when getting ready in the mornings but feel a generic uniform like my daughter has of navy pinafore/trousers,white shirt/polo shirt,red tie and navy cardigan are fine as can buy everywhere for little cost or as expensive as you like.

However the tracksuit top is then crested which adds on an extra cost.

My son's unifrm for infants consists of generic navy trousers but both crested polo shirt and crested sweatshirt. These polo shirts are €17.50 each whereas bought a pack of plain ones for 3 euros for 3 in tescos!

This practice has been going on for years and is basically a money racket that I suspect has its roots in the expensive supplier giving the school a kick back to force parents to buy the uniforms there.

In saying that, in my secondary school no such restriction was set and it has to be said the uniform was completely different in colour and style for any 2 people - allowing for a lot of individuality, resulting in associated discipline problems etc....

I too feel that crests for jumpers should be available seperately to reduce costs. My DD's tracksuit sweatshirts costs €23.99 wheras the same quality one is available in Dunnes for €6 but doesn't have the required crest.

Just take the crest from last years sweater and sew it on the Dunnes sweatshirt! In September, attend the AGM of the Parent's Association, and suggest they sell the crests separately, buying in at say €1 each, and selling at €2, thus saving parents money and raising money for the school, or better still, go on the Parent's Association.

Many years ago, in Thailand the school uniform was standard everywhere in the country, navy trousers or skirt & a white shirt; granted we don't have the same climate, but we are a tiny country - why does every school have to have a different uniform anyway?

And why don't teachers wear a uniform, perhaps a standad generic uniform.

Was on the parents council and found uniform with crests from specific shops the only way that it could resemble a uniform. When seperate crests were allowed the navy jumpers ranged from bright blue to almost black with crests sewn on in all sorts of places at various angles.

While it is definitely worth bringing this up with the parents association, they don´t control the uniform policy. You need to give the message to the principal as well, so that when the PA come calling on the principal, they will get a fair audience.