buying on ebay- vat/tax added?

D

dave_m11

Hi,
I can buy a lcd tv from China( on the web...reliable site) for 80Euro,and delivered for 50Euro but what implications would importing this in here.
Would I be subject to customs duty/ import tax?

thanks

thanks for that.

How is that calculated? Is it on the cost price or is it predefined like cars and available?

21% I presume. There may be other charges that apply on importation - I don't know.

A friend's recent experience leads me to suspect that there isn't a hard-and-fast percentage, when it comes to import duty (as opposed to VAT). Customs & Excise seem to be empowered to extract whatever sum is necessary to bring the total up to rather more than you'd have paid if you'd bought the item 'on the High street' (whatever that means..?) — presumably in an attempt to discourage 'that kind of thing' by making examples of the few individuals they manage to catch? (I'm happy to be corrected on this, though!)

The guy I'm talking about bought a 'consumer electronics' item for the kind of money you mention and was hit with a demand for over four times the price he'd paid..! :eek:

He told them to keep it, ordered another one and had it delivered to a busy workplace address instead of his home.

Hello,

Does anyone know exactly how the VAT and Duty is calculated. I have just bought off EBay, from the US, a camera attachment for $70 (€60 approx) plus shipping $35 (€30 approx). I have been charged €6 duty and €21 VAT. The quoted price for customs on the shipping document was $50 (€43). The duty as charged would come to 10% of the origional cost but the VAT (at 21%) would equate to an overall cost of €100.

Is the vat calculated on both cost price and shipping? Is the duty also added in before VAT? This would still only come to €96 total and thus VAT nearer €20 (ok, only €1). If they had used the quoted cost, €43, it should have been €43+€30+€5= €78, VAT = €16.

I have been informed recently, by others that buy regularly, that the shippers, DHL in this case, are now always collecting the VAT and duty as a cash flow generator.

"Is the vat calculated on both cost price and shipping?" YES
Is the duty also added in before VAT? YES

"If they had used the quoted cost, €43" - This price was not the transaction value of the product i.e. the price you paid.
You could assume that the difference here (€60 - €43) is the Resellers profit !!

DHL? also may also have an administrative charge for completing the customs entry.

Ask DHL for a copy of the declared customs entry to clarify.

Back