Buying non Certified diamonds

ice

Hi

I have seen a lovely bridal set in a jewellery store in the dundrum shopping centre.

Its a princess cut with four small square diamonds in a larger square with small diamond down the sides. The wedding ring has small diamond all around it (3/4 of the way anyway). Its a vintage setting.

The girl in the store said they don't certify anything under .25ct and as all the diamonds are smaller than that this set isn't certified.

I asked aabout colour etc and she said the diamonds were between G and K and clarity was vs 1 to vs2.

Price was 1800.

I don't mind that the colour is not pure white or that its slightly included as long as they are not obvious - the set looked lovely in the shop (but I suppose they all do in that light!)

Is it OK to buy without a certificate?

Should I ask can I see it in natural light?

Seems like an OK price so that has me concerned !!

Any advice would be most welcome.

Just a word of warning(from personal experience) - its very easy to loose a stone from the 4 square stone setting.

I think the idea of this setting is to make small diamonds look like one impressive stone.

Check the setting thoroughly as unless each stone has some form of "claw" mount to hold it in, its very easy to lose one.
Sometimes if the metal holding the stone in is heavy it takes from the look of the style.

Not sure about the certification but at if its valued by the jeweller for insurance purposes maybe it doesn't matter too much.

Not sure about the certification but at if its valued by the jeweller for insurance purposes maybe it doesn't matter too much.

Of course it matters. So if the jeweller gives you a valuation of €10,000 will it make you feel so much better that you have not been ripped off. Small diamonds are notoriously cheap. This is the reason as to why they make them up into fancy arrangements. Shop around before you part with your money. They are all eager for the business at the moment.