Buying no-frills laptop

oakfield

hi there - has anyone used laptopdirect.ie to buy a laptop - is this a reliable service? I'm interested in purchasing a laptop but don't want to spend a huge amount of money and don't need any fancy stuff - Laptopdirect has a Grade A1 HP 550 - any advice?

I was wondering the same thing myself, just about to start a thread with the same question.. Snap!!!:)

Hi there,
If you're looking for a no-frills laptop, you should take a look at the Samsung nc10.
Very small laptop with 10.2" screen, windows XP, 1gb of Ram and 160gb hard disk and weights in at 1.3kg. Keyboard & display are very good, but graphics card spec is quite basic so don't expect to be able to play the latest games.
Perfect for surfing the net, editing Word/ Excel docs etc., starts-up & shuts down in 30-40 seconds and you should get around 6 hours real-world use from a single battery charge.

I bought mine from Elara.ie last week (ordered Friday morning and delivered first thing Monday morning). Worked out at €400.95 including shipping.

paddyjnr - a netbook is a low end laptop that is v. small and light and is specifically designed for wireless access to the Internet, playing music and viewing photos etc. I have a dell mini that I use for internet access and reviewing documents. CD drives/writers etc would have to be external add ons.

Oh I see, I just thought the cd player would be standard! Maybe not the right choice so if you needed to reinstall software..Thanks

I was referring to the Samsung nc10 which is a netbook. The Grade A1 HP 550 looks like good value laptop (and does have the CD/DVD drive read/write :) )

paddyjnr,
As gallogly points out, it's a netbook rather than a full laptop.
The nc10 doesn't have a cd/dvd writer and there isn't room to add one. They supply recovery software & O/S on CD but you have to use a networked drive or an external HDD/USB key.

that's super folks, thanks for your help, think i might go with the Samsung one, cheers

I've just ordered a laptop from laptopdirect, ASUS X58C which has a 15" screen + DVD rewriter, and has Vista & XP downgrade. Cost £330 (about €370).

As an aside, I ordered the same laptop from dabs.ie, who accepted the order, then refused to deliver to my office address (will deliver to credit card billing address only).

Back