Buying Nintendo Wii for someone in the USA

gentle123

Hi,

I was just wondering if I bought a Wii in Ireland would I be able to use it in the USA.

Thanks !

Hi,

I was just wondering if I bought a Wii in Ireland would I be able to use it in the USA.

Thanks !

You should be able to but I don't think it would be wise.

You would be better off buying a US Wiii for a number of reasons a) its cheaper over there, b) US games are cheaper and there is a wider range and c) games are released for the Wii in the US sometimes more than six months before European releases.

You can use an American here with no difficulty and any future game purchases can be done online with advantages outlined above.

I'm sorry we didn't buy ours in the USA...

I totally second tallpaul. When you look at the conversion rate, you're saving significant money when purchasing electronics in North America. Also, the games life dvds are region coded so if you were to buy the Wii over here it wouldn't work with the games in the USA.

ad

Thanks for all the replies, i was basically asking as the Wii is still not widely available in the USA and my friend was hoping for one for her kids for Christmas.

Thanks for all the replies, i was basically asking as the Wii is still not widely available in the USA and my friend was hoping for one for her kids for Christmas.

not true, if anything it is more widely available in the US

First of all I VERY much doubt that this is the case. Even when there were major shortages in Europe, the US had plenty...

Secondly, if you go down this road, your friend will not be able to buy any new games in her local game shop for the Wii as they won't work!!!! She will be practically be the only person in the US that will have to import them, pay more for the games and have to wait longer for them!!

I had a look this summer, a place like Walmart has loads of machines and games. You should have no problem getting one over there!

I can assure you the Wii is NOT widely available in the US. From Amazon.com

Wii purchase limit policy

The Wii is in great demand, and thus there are shortages of this product across the U.S. In order to ensure that as many customers as possible have the ability to purchase this popular item, Amazon.com is limiting customer purchases of the Wii to 3 units per calendar month. This policy will be effective beginning September 4, 2007.

Thank to those whose replies were actually helpful.

They are in such short supply that Amazon are willing to offer customers only 36 units per year.

Nice marketing, looks like it has worked on at least one potential customer.

Seemed to me that everone who replied was trying to help, you don't just seem to believe their experience .

Amazon's purchase limit policy is to limit individuals to buying 3 Wii's per month rather than overall ;-)

Supposedly to stop people bulk buying and reselling on ebay.

They still go out of stock quickly.

Supposedly to stop people bulk buying and reselling on ebay.

How could you make a margin on ebay (after postage etc.) if your supplier was Amazon.
Wouldn't people just go directly to Amazon if they are freely available there.
You would have to buy out Amazon before this could work.

Currently having problems finding anywhere that has Wii in stock - a lot of places also saying that they dont expect to get any more before Santa. Looked at Amazon.com and the price is significantly cheaper than the shops here - apart from having to buy the games from the US, will I have other problems (power supply etc) if I buy one from the US?