Buying new White goods..miele?

SCooke

hi all,

can anyone let me know if anywhere does a discount if you are buying all new kitchen products? we need to buy a new fridge freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer and microwave.
Also DID told us that they don't do discounts or price matches on Miele as Miele 'won't let them'

Any advise of where i might be able to save a few quid would be greatgly appreciated!
So far it's looking like Currys are the cheapest.

Power City do discounts if you ask for them. I got a Miele hoover, kettle and some other small items recently from them and got 5% discount after asking.

If you are buying a lot of products you could get even more than 5% off. It depends on the salesman and the markup on each item. My brother works there part time and he regularily gives more than 5% off (max is about 10%). They have to ring up head office and get the discount approved so they only have so much room to maneuver. The senior salesmen are not as generous.

He's on 2 weeks holidays from tomorrow otherwise I'd give you his details. If you were interested and not in a hurry you could visit Powercity or their website, take a note of the product codes you are interested in and he could give you a quote. As he is not a senior salesman he can't sell TV's but he can help you on everything else.

Discounts are quite common, especially if buying a whole load of stuff.

However, being told that Miele don't discount their larger appliances isn't unique: it's come up here before. I guess it depends on "won't let us discount them" means (or whether it's true or not) on whether it's illegal or not.

It's quite impressive that they have that degree of control over their distribution to make sure no discounting doesn't take place, but that doesn't do much for the consumer.

Miele goods (at least the larger appliances like diswashers, ovens, etc) are not sold directly by electrical outlets, such as DID or Expert. They have to send customer orders to Miele's offices in Tallaght and when full payment has been received, they will ship the goods to the customer.

This is why is very difficult to get a good deal on most Miele appliances. IMHO, Miele are shooting themselves in the foot because it must take some convincing to try to sell their products; they look very expensive compared to other appliances with similar levels of sophistication.

One good tip I learned is that Miele refridgeration appliances are manufactured by Liebherr (have a look at both in a showroom) and the latters products are a little less expensive.

Not sure what you're getting at here: all that says to me is that the retailers are unwilling to hold stock, which given the cost of Miele goods is hardly surprising.

You can look at and order Miele stuff from places like Knowles in Dun Laoghaire and Discount Electrical on Mountjoy Sq., no different from any other make.

By the way, we have Liebherr fridge and freezer and are very happy with them.

Miele's practice of not allowing discounts would appear to be in breach of the Competition Act which outlaws anti-competitive behaviour.

It would be okay to set "recommended prices" that guide retailers but forbidding them to offer discounts does not serve the interests and is anti-competitive.

I suspect there might actually be something in this, having heard it myself from two separate suppliers. They didn't say it explicitely, but certainly implied that they (Miele) "didn't like discounting".

The only thing that I can think is that margins are less on their stuff than the industry norm, so the retailers won't discount, but this seems unlikely.

Another alternative is that on other manufactrurers appliances when the retailer offers a discount, they in turn get one from the distributor and Miele don't do this.

I guess without inside knowledge of how that industry works, it's hard to say.

personaly think miele is over priced for what they offer spec wise. This pricing is done to make there brand exclusive..which has worked in fairness to them, try other brands like zanussi or de dietrick for innovative products..I have always used these 2 brands and have never had any problems, they are way better speced than miele

i have used beko products in the house have them 4 years with 5 people using them in the house and not a bother

dishwasher, dryer, washing machine, fridge frezer

Well I bought a whirlpool fridge and it cost an arm and a leg and it start rusting around the freezer opening after less than two years. Wouldnt buy another whirlpool again.

Think you got lucky there Gar123, cause Beko wouldn't be considered reliable by any stretch of the imagination IMO. I used to sell electrical appliances 4 years ago and Beko was the bargain basement, whirlpool and zanussi mid range but pretty reliable, Siemens high spec, well priced and good warranty, and Miele were top price but not top product. They used to be a status product, and there was no discount on them, however any items that had to ordered into the shop weren't given a discount because the shop was obviously not buying in bulk. I don't actually know of any retailers that stock Miele (as in more than 3/4 at any time).

The thing to look out for apart from AAA rating is parts and servicing. Beko were very poor at providing back up and call outs, whirlpool/zanussi on the other hand had call outs in 3 days or less.

they look very expensive compared to other appliances with similar levels of sophistication.

I have a Miele mid range Washing machine and dryer both on a 10 year parts and labour guarantee. Cost approx 2k, That's 200 euro a year or €4 pw. That's great value for a top class product.

I have a Miele mid range Washing machine and dryer both on a 10 year parts and labour guarantee. Cost approx 2k, That's 200 euro a year or €4 pw. That's great value for a top class product.

We've had a Miele vacuum cleaner for over 25 years and its still operating good as new. Spare parts are available for years, unlike other brands. Highly recommended.

My Whirlpool dishwasher, microwave, washing machine, dryer, 5-ring gas hob and extractor fan cost less than that for the lot. They have an 8-year warranty. I have been using whirlpool products for 10 years and only had one problem. They called out the following evening and sorted it out for free, and it was my fault.

Think you got lucky there Gar123, cause Beko wouldn't be considered reliable by any stretch of the imagination IMO. I used to sell electrical appliances 4 years ago and Beko was the bargain basement, whirlpool and zanussi mid range but pretty reliable, Siemens high spec, well priced and good warranty, and Miele were top price but not top product. They used to be a status product, and there was no discount on them, however any items that had to ordered into the shop weren't given a discount because the shop was obviously not buying in bulk. I don't actually know of any retailers that stock Miele (as in more than 3/4 at any time).

The thing to look out for apart from AAA rating is parts and servicing. Beko were very poor at providing back up and call outs, whirlpool/zanussi on the other hand had call outs in 3 days or less.

Hi,

I notice you don't mention Bosch in your list above and am just wondering how you would rate them? I've read quite a lot about Miele here and most people seem to rate them highly and mention that their products last for years. Why do you say that they are top price but not top product?

Thanks.

Our Miele washing machine was the cheapest one they had nine years ago when we bought it. I'd say it's used on average about five or six times a week over that period (family life, eh!). Still looks and behaves like new: never given the slightest problem.

I'm very reluctant to extrapolate on personal experience (anyone can get lucky or unlucky with a particular manufacturer's products), as one experience doesn't provide enough evidence.

However, the number of times you hear stories like this, the more likely it seems that they deserve their reputation.

Sue Ellen,

I didn't deal with Bosch, but I only ever really heard good reports on them so I would say that they are reliable, but again I've no direct experience of this.To be honest the best bet in terms of reliability and range of product, Zanussi and whirlpool offer best value for money IMO

On what others have said about having miele for 25 years and nine years etc, I'd say its simply the case that like so many other star brands these days, they simply don't make em like they used to. In what are far more competitive times, even the premium brands are churning out more product and becoming less reliable. 5 years hassle free is now considered reliable rather than the 10+ of days gone by

Last edited by a moderator:
Back