Buying new TV set

dewdrop

My Panasonic set I have for 10/15 years has packed up. The switch does not put the set on when pressed in. Friends tell me it is about time I got one of the flat screen models. I am not interested in gimmicks or very high quality. A 32 inch seems the popular choice for around 350 euro. Any general advice would be welcomed.

- might be worth a shot.

Panasonic are highly recommended and I would avoid LG - having trouble with my own tv.

I bought a Samsung 40" a couple of years ago - very pleased with it. Having done the rounds of the larger outlets, I found the best value for what I wanted at Power City.

Would definitely recommend Samsung and not LG. DID.ie tends to have the cheapest prices.

Would definitely recommend Samsung and not LG. DID.ie tends to have the cheapest prices.

If you did get a cheap quote at DID and are insured with AXA you may be able to get a[broken link removed]

For what its worth, I would recommend LG. I have two and am very happy with them.

For what its worth, I would recommend LG. I have two and am very happy with them.

The main reason I mention LG is that there is evidence that some LG televisions are reporting to the manufacturer what you are watching including media filenames from local USB drives. Google to find more details.

I've had LG, Sony and Samsung. Sony tops for picture every time, Samsung easy to use and great picture too, but problems with LG models with poor sound. You may not be interested in the high quality but once you start looking at HD the difference is pleasantly surprising even if you are a a light TV user - we are loving BBC4 HD.
Personally, I'd choose Samsung with a close second Sony.
Also in older TVs 32inch was pretty standard but now you can get a much larger tv screen size in the same space now that a very thin rim is possible. We measured the space we wanted to fill and then brought the tape measure to the shop and plumped for the biggest possible for that space. We were going for a smaller size but in the end went bigger and have not regretted it. Actually the TV is less intrusive than before even though the picture size (but not the TV) is bigger. We thought, as we don't replace that often lets go the biggest and best we can get for the least price and that worked for us.
Price is much of a muchness everywhere Harvey Norman will almost always do a deal if you ask, Currys PC World probably won't and DID are good but I have found service inconsistent.

Bought an 47" LG TV from [broken link removed] authorised LG factory refurbished vendor. TV was as new - as far as I could see - not a scratch on it - in original packaging but for 33% less than the new price for that model. Also was classed as new enough to avail of a free LG camcorder offer - which I subsequently claimed and flogged off.

How did you manage with the postage to Ireland - did you use parcel motel?

How did you manage with the postage to Ireland - did you use parcel motel?
They will facilitate delivery - but of course, due to the very nature of the product, they will charge for this. TV was £820. Delivery charge was £90....hefty I know - but the deal was still very much a good one. The best 'off the shelf' price I could get for that TV in the UK or Ireland was 33% more (about 500euro more).

I am not interested in gimmicks or very high quality. A 32 inch seems the popular choice for around 350 euro. Any general advice would be welcomed.
is probably what you are after. You should check that any new TV has the connectors you need to connect any other AV equipment you normally have connected to your current TV, these are not always stated on websites. You may need Scart, composite/component in addition to HDMI. LG are often better regarding connectors that other makes, [broken link removed].