buying mobile in UK

miak

Hey there,

I am moving to London in Sept but my irish mobile phone is badly in need of being replaced. I was thinking of buying a sim free phone here and then just buying a sim card in London. However, someone has suggested that phones over there are much cheaper and that I would be better off to wait and buy a sim free phone over there! Does anyone have any advice?

SIM free phones are very expensive over here.

Would you not be better getting a contract phone in the UK?

I am going to be there for a year, max 2 years, so I don't want the hassle of having to pay bills etc if it is not absolutely necessary! Do you know are sim free phones over there much cheaper? Thanks.

miak said:
Do you know are sim free phones over there much cheaper?
This site looks good if you want to buy a 2.5G Nokia for £99.99
This site isn't too expensive (compared to Ireland), but I warn you - the prices exclude VAT.
Sim free isn't too dear on [broken link removed] either.

UK Sim free doesn't look too expensive on the internet, but I don't know about real-life shops though.

You could try getting a pay as you go phone in the UK, and get the operator to give you the NAC (unlocking code) so you can also use your Irish sim in it.
Sim free handsets are generally more expensive regardless of where purchased.

miak said:
I am going to be there for a year, max 2 years, so I don't want the hassle of having to pay bills etc if it is not absolutely necessary! Do you know are sim free phones over there much cheaper? Thanks.

If you absolutely don't want to pay bills, then fair enough.

But from I have seen, you could do worse then sign up for a year, pay as little as possible, and get yourself a phone for free (the cost of billing for a year will probably equate to the cost of a decent SIM free phone).

buy a nokia pay as you go here or in the UK whichever is cheapest and get it unlocked here

[broken link removed]

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice. I went into Vodafone and they told me that if i buy a phone with them and spend a minimum of €130 they will unlock it for me and I can use a Vodafone UK sim card in it. Problem solved!

Back