Buying MacBook - Buy here or U.S?

Josey Wales

Hi,

I need to upgrade my laptop and I'm going to take the plunge and go for a MacBook.

The question I have is where to buy it. I could get it here in Ireland but I am going to the US in a couple of months.

Has anybody any experience of buying a laptop in the US? Is it true I would get more value over there?

Thanks.

There are quite a few thread on buying laptops in the US. Some key issues:

- power supply-is it universal or is a convertor required?
- keyboard layout
- warranty/support
- customs

why dont you have a look at the [broken link removed] on the apple site. There is some very good value to be had there, especially if you are in a position to claim VAT back, but even if not you can make savings of up to 30 - 40%.

There are quite a few thread on buying laptops in the US. Some key issues:

- power supply-is it universal or is a convertor required?
- keyboard layout
- warranty/support
- customs

I've yet to see a laptop that didn't have a universal power supply. Think about it: how would you travel with the thing if you couldn't use it abroad? All you'll need is an adapater plug.

On the OPs question: I looked into exactly this a couple of months back, and came to the conclusion there wasn't much saving if you can claim VAT back here: basically I'm waiting for the new Mac OS (October?) and will buy here then.

On the new Apple macs you dont even need an adaptor as there is a multihead plug and you slide on the pin configuration required.

I've yet to see a laptop that didn't have a universal power supply. Think about it: how would you travel with the thing if you couldn't use it abroad?

The US is a big place-I'm sure lots of people there (I know of one salesman) travel regularly on business but never cross the border.

The US is a big place-I'm sure lots of people there (I know of one salesman) travel regularly on business but never cross the border.

Eh? how is that relevant as to whether laptop manufacturers choose to provide their products with universal power supplies?

I'd be amazed if there's any out there that won't work with anything in the 100-250V 50-60Hz range, which is just about everywhere.

I am only making the point that it is best to check first-especially when buying 'big ticket' items such as laptops-it costs nothing to ask.