buying in Northern Ireland

When you say checks do you mean checking over the car for faults etc?

If so, you could try Bernard Kelly at Carcheck - not sure if he does NI but the guy is a gentleman, very thorough and well worth the €150 (?)

I'm sure he can also advise on anything else associated with importing from NI

When you say checks do you mean
checking over the car for faults etc?

all and any checks really, although I would rather buy from a
garage so the faults would be covered (am I mad?)
Are there standard checks for UK cars needed even if I buy from a garage?

Was assuming that you're buying used?

If so, I'm telling you - always get the car checked - garage or not.

Without going into detail, Carcheck discovered some important faults for me in the past - on cars from a garage, that seemed fine with NCT and warranty etc.

Faults were enough to make me change my mind about buying. Sometimes the faults were minor sometimes more serious but regardless, in my experience, it also indicated that the sellers in question had blatantly lied about specifically asked questions.

I would never by a used car from anyone without having it independently checked

Garages will usually only provide up to a years warranty on used cars - sometimes less. Plenty of hidden problems can arise after the year.

Buying used always has some element of risk but I think Carcheck or someone similar is well worth it.

Assuming you are buying used.
Best from from a dealer as then it would carry BMW/AUDI warranty for a period of time which would apply all over Europe so effectively you are covered.
Also chat to some friends from the North and see if they can point you to some friendly dealers.

Just so you know guys - my bad experiences were with dealers - not just general used car garages or private sellers.

You would think dealers would be more concerned about their reputations and dealerships to be pulling stunts...apparently not

Just called Bernard Kelly at Carcheck, they do look
after cars in NI for €175 - (i've no connection)

not bad, I'll definitely use them

You won't regret it Kiwijbob

Just to forewarn you - Bernard is very thorough: there will inevitably be 'faults' so don't be alarmed if you see 'fail' a number of times beside his checklist. The majority of these should be minor or 'normal service items'
Think he usually provides a conclusion anyway or will talk you through the 'faults'

Although I still find it disappointing that a garage can put a car up for sale, supposedly in a 'ready to buy' condition - but it still needs oil change, filter change, wipers etc...