Buying in Cork - Turner's Cross

M

mincie

hi all, am new to this forum and also new to Cork, so would appreciate some help.
orginally we decided to move to cork we looked at the areas of douglas/rochestown, however turner's cross is now looking like a more atttractive option.
can anyone tell me what their experiences are of turner's cross particularly Capwell Ave/Road - I get the impression the houses may be small ?

thanks,
mincie

Deer Park would probably be the newest area around Turners Cross but it is HEAVILY a rental estate so can be quiet busy parking wise.

lots of houses in the area for sale..lots of fixer uppers if you are willing to do a bit of work .. good schools. Capwell can be very busy during the school year ..you can walk to town in no time and the pubs around aren't bad..lots of ex-council around there in good nick for approx 300 to 350 ,knock off 20k for one that needs work.. ballinlough is a better area but prices are higher and Ballypheane offers slightly bigger older ex-council for a little bit less.. they love the GAA....personally,i grew up close to the area and went to school there but i'm a bit indifferent to the area.. there are opportunities.. bu the closer you get to Douglas the more the price goes up as well

ps.. if you are buying in Deerpark make sure you get a very good engineer.. there has been more than one subsidence in there in the past

I rented in Deerpark for a couple of years and the soundproofing between the semis/townhouses was woeful. We could hear everything going on next door. I rented in a small house in front of the telephone exchange just off Capwell, called Quaker Road and it was a great spot especially if you want to go out in town a lot. No need for taxis - walk in and walk home. It was great and so handy.Only negative while we were there was a window in our car which was parked outside, was broken. But that could happen anywhere. I'd still recommend the area for its convenience. The houses along Capwell are quite old.

If you have a good budget there is a nice big house now on the market in mount pleasant road/avenue.technically it is Turners cross but it's just off Friars walk.. looks like it needs a bit of work. apologies but that's all the info i have at the moment

Houses very small and overpriced. Have heard that there are problems getting parking and that it can be difficult to turn cars due to people parking in cul de sacs.

They have recently made a lot of areas disc parking which has helped with the problem of parking. Extremely close to town and a good area. IMO Rochestown & Douglas have gone down hill in recent years and the prices are no longer valid. Both these areas have MAJOR traffic problems too!

Back