Buying house for renovation - scope for changing structure

Billy Baltic

Apologies if this has been asked before.

We are looking at buying houses in need of renovation as the most practical and ,in some cases, affordable method of living in our preferred location.
I have a very basic question relating to this. Some of the properties are completely unsuitable and would require too much work to correct. In this scenario what are the regulations around knocking the structure and starting again? I presume planning would be required but would it be a formality where we would knock a bungalow and replace it with another, completely different design of, bungalow? Would an alternative place for the structure within the site also be an issue?

what are the regulations around knocking the structure and starting again?

There are no real 'regulations' in relation to this, other than, obvioulsy, if you build a new house it needs to comply with current Building Regulations.

Prior to considering further you should check the Local Authority's development plan (carefully) to see if the LA has any 'policy' on this type of development.

One I am aware of is DunLaoghaire Rathdown CC, which does (or at least did) have policy in their development plan precluding the demolition and re-building of existing hosues (without very good reason). No problem knocking a house and building 2 houses - more difficult to planning to knock a house and build one house.

Just listening to a planner on the radio now (on the Pat Kenny show) speaking about Galway City and there was brief mention of this policy too, to do with Galway, i.e. in principle not allowing knock and re-build.

Thanks for the response.
Would an investigation into the LA developement plan be sufficient to uncover this information? I hope it would since it's freely available.
I was worried that I'd get a standard response of engage a planning consultant. I'd have no problem doing that for the final project but since we are looking at multiple potential locations, and assessing their pros and cons, I wouldn't want to spend money at such an early stage.

Yes, this sort of policy should be stated in the LA Development Plan - a call (by phone or in person) to the LA Planning Department would also be a good idea (try, if possible, to speak with the planner for the particular area you are looking at the house).

Just bear in mind that if the policy is generally not to allow demolition of an existing house and replacement with a new house this does not mean that it cannot be done - it's just a policy/aim - the LA just has to be convinced that there is a valid reason for proposing to demolish the existing structure.