buying gold etc

G

gammarid

further to some previous threads, I am wondering if anyone has any experience buying metal from gold.ie?

would like to know how you got on - do you go up to collect the goods? how are they to deal, were you satisfied with the paper trail given to support what you were buying?

regards.

G

I haven't any experience with that site, however while on holiday in South Africa two years ago I bought Krugerrands at the spot price of gold +0.8% at Gold Reef City in Johannesburg. That may give you a reference as to whether you're getting good value from this agent.

bought gold from them no problem.had to insure it and delivered by courier. i have some for sale at moment if interested

thanks for replies - I go over to SA a bit with work but I do not have anything in the near future, the exchange rate with the rand would make it a nice time to be there!

what sort of cost was the insurance, was it a percentage or a fixed fee? regarding you interaction with gold.ie, was it over the phone - emails only or did you call to their offices? also what assurances did you get re the quality of the metal, and were you happy (I am sure you probably were)

I have to say regardless of the times we are in, I quite fancy the idea of some tangabile assets!!

S

i think it was a percentage dealt with them over the phone they dont handle the items at all. coins came in sealed tubes from vault in usa

Err - think you should inform yourself about gold:

"Gold has low to negative correlation with mainstream investments - for example, equities, bonds, real estate - and this is particularly helpful at a time when the performance of other assets is becoming increasingly synchronous.
"Gold is less volatile than other investments - over the long run gold is less volatile than the US S&P500 index, and this also applies to equity indices in other countries.''
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22975605-5014099,00.html