Key Post Buying gear for cycling

Dowee

Since you are just starting off I'll give you a few suggestions, based on my experience of cycling for the past 3 years.
- Buy a pair of cycling shorts with extra padding in the seat region (don't think I need to explain why). Hollingsworth in Templeogue sell them for around €20. I got a pair there 2 years ago and I'm still using them.
- Buy a high pressure pump. I got one in Argos for about €15. It is invaluable for pumping tyres to an appropriate pressure. Regular hand pumps won't be enough for pumping hyrid / racer tubes and soft tyres can slow you down alot.
- Purchase 2 spare tubes, appropriate repair tools and a small pump and carry them with you every day. I get a puncture at least once a month and half way between Firhouse and the city centre is a decent walk!! I recommend two tubes because I've been unlucky enough to get 2 punctures during the same trip on more than one occasion.
- Buy a spoke key and learn how to use it to take buckles out of your wheels. It is very easy once you know how. The state of the roads means I use mine at least once a month.
- Get good wet gear and carry it everyday. Millets sell some good stuff and it is reasonably priced too.

I think that's all the essentials, if I can think of anything else I'll let you know.

wow that's loads of info thanks dowee, there's no way i would have thought about all that but i'm guessing quickly learned from my mistakes!

just a thought, that sounds like a lot of bits to be carrying around with me every day considering i'm a girl too and can easily add more to your list ;o)

i know girls reading this are nodding their heads with me!

thanks again dowee, anything else springs to mind let me know, i prefer to be prepared and not walking home with my bike!

Choose the type of bike carefully - hybrid's have racer sized wheels with mtb type handlebars. My hybrid was great on the flat, but if there was a wind in your face it could feel like cycling up a mountain. I would prefer a racer, not all racers are 9lbs and made of cheese you know. Your local bike shop would advise on a suitably sturdy machine - perhaps a touring bike - with 36 spoke wheels a rack and a nice relaxed position on the bike.

2nd thing is the fit - a bad fitting bike will make every journey seem miles long, hurt you and possibly mess up your back, neck and knees. Again bike shop will advise. If they cant or wont advise go to another bike shop. (recommend Joe Daly's in Dundrum)

3rd thing is always budget for extra gear - you will need at a minimum lights front and rear, pump, lock (if leaving it outside), 2xspare tubes, puncture repair kit, tools - spanner, allen keys etc. The bike should have mudguards otherwise you will be wet and uncomfortable when there's rain and mud on the road. I bring my clothes into work and wear bike specific gear - nothing too mad - tracksuit bottoms, couple of breathable tops (e.g. polyester, polypropylene or wool) and a windproof jacket. Tight fitting means no flapping in the wind, no hems in chains. You should also wear a hi-viz jacket over this. If you're bringing gear with you, panniers haning off a rack are probably the best solution, but I just sling my stuff in a courier bag on my back - change of clothes and occasionally laptop.

There's much debate over the value of cycle helmets to cyclists. They are not designed to protect your head in any serious impact but rather to protect the skin on your head if you fall off your bike while stationary - don't laugh but I've done this, thankfully head didn't hit ground! I personally wouldn't wear a helmet as in addition to their low protection value, your outsize head (ie with the helmet on) is now easier to twist under force causing serious head injury.

Rain can be a pain, but if you're cycling over 5 miles or so, and going reasonably fast - 15mph average? then I woudn't wear rain gear - no "breathable" rain jacket can cope with the sweat produced and you will suffer from "boil in the bag". Mind you some extra layers can come in handy because rain can be cold! I do have pvc type non-breathable rain gear for downpours but rarely use them. Tracksuit gets wet, but keeps you warm as long as your legs are moving.

There's much debate over the value of cycle helmets to cyclists. They are not designed to protect your head in any serious impact but rather to protect the skin on your head if you fall off your bike while stationary - don't laugh but I've done this, thankfully head didn't hit ground! I personally wouldn't wear a helmet as in addition to their low protection value, your outsize head (ie with the helmet on) is now easier to twist under force causing serious head injury.
In a blunt force collision, the helmet can save your life. The above is misleading and dangerous :mad: - helmets are designed to absorb impact at speed. Make sure it fits properly otherwise it's no good.

I can personally attest to their efficacy, given that in a serious collision as a result of which I hit the ground head-first, my head was fine although I hit the ground hard enough to break my nose and scrape my teeth.

Can I second Brendan on the Dub Cycling Campaign? I'm a very quiet member - don't go to meetings, just hand over my €20 a year; it's a good cause.

I don't understand this at all. We now have lots of cycle lanes. Not always in good condition and not always respected.
But more traffic, frequently more aggressive drivers, and "not always respected" is a key issue. I've had some of my worst scares from drivers pulling suddenly into bike lanes.

The evidence on cycling helmets is very mixed. There was a great lecture last year by a guy from Trinity and his conclusion was that the statistics just don't support any reduction in injuries when the incidence of use of cycling helmets increases. I only wear mine if I am going up and down mountains, or if I am cycling on an icy road.
Two words: risk compensation! I'd also suggest that where the wearing of helmets is not compulsory, the more cautious among us are, on balance, more likely to wear bicycle helmets and the statistical effect of that would be harder to trace without huge sample sizes over a significant period.

I have to admit to being a late convert to helmet wearing - a former nurse at my former workplace nagged me so much I got one to appease her. She had worked in Beaumont Hospital in the neurological side and seen a lot of comatose (non helmet-wearing) cyclists over the years. Anecdotal, but there just plain aren't reliable stats in Ireland.

Likewise while I recognise - obviously - that my own experience is not statistically significant, it's pretty important to me! And one friend I in turn nagged in turn landed on his (now helmet-clad) head and managed to come off none the worse only a few months later.

EuroCycles on the Long Mile Road are good. They're distributors & retailers as well. I know this setup annoys a lot of the bike shops around. I got a racing bike with mountain bike handlebars 2 years ago. Got them to give me their best price and they knocked 20% off.

thanks to all of you, your great advise and words of wisdom - only for ye i was confident buying my bike (2nd hand, may i add, but in good condition).

i got a gents Trek because i needed a 20 inch frame and it's apparently hard to get 20 inch frames for ladies bikes 2nd hand.

yup it has mud guards, carrier on back (see i listened).

i also got a hi-gear 13 air vent helmet, better safe than sorry and good blinking lights for front and rear.

now i will have to get the rain gear and thanks for the tips Dachshund, appreciate those being a girl (goddess) and all ;o)

now my last question (unless something else comes up, of course!!)

? the guy in the bike shop said he would change the seat to a ladies seat on the gents trek, my question: is their much of a difference? am i better off keeping the gents seat or should i ask now to get it changed (collecting it wednesday).

im asking because you all stress the importance of a comfortable bike journey, and if ye do recommend me to ask him to change it, is their a specific type of ladies seat i should ask for to match the trek model?

again you lot are stars, thanks for coming back to me,

ff

Congrats on the new bike, am sure it will serve you well!

I’d see how you get on with the one that’s on it. Don’t actually know what a ladies saddle is?

The one recommendation that I have for saddles is that you get one that’s a cutaway - i.e. there's a groove in the centre - this stopping numbness by relieving pressure on a vein in that area.

Have a look at http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bicycleseats.html to see the choices

ok i think after this i'm all out of questions :)

ladies rain gear;

where can i buy my gear?

where is the cheapest (most affordable) place to buy my gear from?

what brand do you recommend?

it's just i really want to do this right from the start guys, i want to be committed! ;)

again thanks,

ff

Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK seem to be good value, certainly compared to CycleWays listed above. One example, Berghaus Mercury waterproof overtrousers are €139 from CycleWays, £30 from Chain Reaction. That's one third the price! They also do free shipping to Ireland.
Leo

Waterproof clothing.

Try it on before you buy it, buy it online if it's cheaper.

Great Outdoors in Chatham St. have a good range of wet weather gear. Cheapness is not everything if you are going to use this stuff for a long time. Brands to look out for are Lowe Alpine, Sprayway, Regatta, Altura, Gill etc. Brand name doesn't mean much if it fits you like a bin bag, do not buy the rain capes you sometimes see, you'll regret it as soon as there is a gust of wind.

Any decent cycle shop will also stock raingear.

Jackets should fit you comfortably without restricting you across the shoulders. Trousers should be slighly longer than you think you'll need as when you bend your knees they'll rise up your legs.

Don't be afraid to try on stuff and move as if you're sitting on the bike.

You can buy overshoes to keep the rain out of your shoes.

It is perfectly possible to cycle in high heels, you only use the ball of your foot to move the pedal, but I do not recommend flip flops under any circumstances!

A pair of dry socks in a drawer in work makes for a very happy cyclist. Leave your nice shoes in work and cycle in a pair of runners (try Penneys).

All it takes is a bit of forward planning and you'll be the most efficient cyclist in Dublin.

do not buy the rain capes you sometimes see, you'll regret it as soon as there is a gust of wind.

Are they really that bad? I was thinking of getting one to carry around on the bike for the odd time that you get stuck in a short shower and don't want to pull on waterproof trousers.

IMHO - the capes are crazy. I've used one before and regretted it.

It is very rarely in this country that rain showers aren't accompanied by wind. You'd be as aerodynamic as a brick with one of those capes and the possibility of being blown into the traffic does not appeal to me. They also won't protect you from rain splashing up from the ground.

They are pretty bulky too and you'd probably be better off with a good rain jacket, you'll dry out pretty quickly if it is a short shower but otherwise the trousers make more sense.

A plastic bag over the saddle while the bike is locked outside prevents some nasty squelchy moments!;)

Re waterproof jackets & trousers: make sure your jacket zips both ways from the top and the bottom, and pockets that are easy to get to. Your nose can get very drippy when it's cold so you'll need to get to a tissue. Good pockets will hold gloves scarf etc, even lights when you remove them. Make sure it has a collar - saves you wearing a scarf. . Don't spare cash on the jacket - a good one can last 5 years of daily use.
Any old pants will do if they don't have cuffs just use those reflective bands with velcro to stop them getting into places they shouldn't.
Ladies saddle For ladies.....there's a good reason for them! There's nothing makes a journney seem longer than being uncomfortable. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of cycling.

i got my husband a breatheable waterproof trousers and jacket for €40 on Mary st, not sure what shop it was but that was a few years ago and he finds them very comfortable and that's a man that cycles everyday and sweats a very healthy amount!
Buy yourself a scary looking lock! Himself has two, a big chain thing and a thin wire thing for the other wheel. Put's people off. Bike locks are tests here and new york so your up against some talented thiefs. If you're parking your back on the street do it somewhere with lots of traffic, human or otherwise so it's more uncomfortable for someone to fiddle with it. Also not in a jumble of other bikes for the same reason. Don't lock it to a pole they can lift it over! If you have any quick release wheels or saddles on your bike it's a good idea to have them changed as they are quick release to a thief too.
The ride is very scary but also quite thrilling! It's a bit like a rollercoaster you have the thrill of knowing you arrived alive! make sure you get well out in front at traffic lights, cars will not necessarily see you or care. Watch out for pedestrians stepping into the street without looking, they don't hear cars and assume all is well, I broke my elbow cause of one of these guys.
This is handy to pick routes and see your distances covered.
I've never bothered with special gear, and apart from wet gear neither has other half but do remember to tuck your trouser leg into your sock I think it's on the right leg, you might look like a wally but catch yourself in the chain and you'll see what I mean.
Good luck it's a really fun way to get around, and if you can keep your shiny new good quality bike (they know!) indoors, do!

?? I have seen a number of cyclists with a black mask or something around their face, is this to protect from the cold / fumes, is it a good idea??

?? And would clear glasses be a good idea for when it's raining - just thinking when it downpours/hail showers, would it help visability??
(1) I tried something like that once upon a time, and honestly, I'd say forget it. If you're exerting yourself at all - as you probably will be from Firhouse in to town - you'll just have damp muggy breath held close to your face, which is really uncomfortable, and somewhat restricted breathing.

(2) I don't think it'll help much since the glasses will just get rain streaked. With absolute downpours you're often better pulling in for a bit since they rarely last long, and for those steady rain-in-your-eyes days a visor might help.

Good luck!

Having had at least 5 bikes stolen over the years I went for the opposite approach and bought a 100 euro bike in Lidl or Aldi. It's fine for the relatively short distances (under 4 miles) I do and I never worry about it being stolen or rusting away (when I leave it in town for days).

Glasses do not help at all when it rains - the opposite in fact. I take mine off if it starts raining.

It rains far less than you'd think. I heard statistics which claim that if you have a 25 minute cycle to and from work somewhere in Dublin, then you are likely to get wet less than 8 times a year. Ths is roughly in line with my experience. I don't bother with carrying rain gear (which is of no use 92% of the time) as a result and just abandon the bike if it's pissing and get a bus/taxi or walk with an umbrella. However good mudguards are essential - the roads are often wet.

Clip on/off front and back lights are also vital. I've come to the belief that front lights are more important than back lights for night cycling despite the fact that many cyclists don't bother with them. Drivers are generally good at spotting cyclists - even at night - when the cyclist is ahead of them but are less good at noticing them beside or behind (particularly when joining a main road). This is obvious when you consider that drivers spend 95% of their concentration staring out the front windscreen. None of my bicycle accidents or near accidents have involved being "rear ended" - all involved pedestrians or vehicles ahead or to side of me who/which didn't see me.

I'm not sold on the helmet thing either.

Controversially, I'd also advise you to be prepared to "bend" the law for your own safety; sometimes to be safe you will have to move out of cycle lanes, use footpaths (only when there are no pedestrians about) or break red lights (i.e. using the pedestrians' green). I'm a driver also and I appreciate most of the rules of the road when it comes to driving a motorized vehicle but I'm convinced that many of the rules for cycling must have been written by people who've never ridden a bike.

Oops nearly forgot to say - enjoy it! Cycling is a great way to get around the city; I love it. As the weather gets better, your commute will become an actual pleasure.

I wear glasses anyway but crap when it rains cos they don't have wipers! And I find they direct the airflow straight into my eyes, which makes them water. I'll second that about front lights, having begun to turn out of a paarking spot (in the car) only to find an invisible cyclist was coming up the road. Use them on flash even when it's dusk. O! a bell stops you having to yell at people stepping off the footpath without looking.
It strikes me writing this that the use of tissues for the drippy nose may be the answer to the hawkers-and-gobbers of the cycling community. Maybe this is what differentiates the men from the women?

Last edited:
My link showed Paris Roubaix. I doubt Dublin streets are any worse than that. I made the point about backs and comfort.

I commute on a MTB and I would be launched over the handle bars if I didn't avoid potholes, kerbs etc. TBH I have to avoid them in the car, and look at the tyres on that.

Back