buying from argos?

Carebear

I was looking through the Argos catalogue last night as I am building a house at the moment. Has anyone furnished their house completely or maybe just bought a few pieces from Argos? I was looking at light's and thought the prices seem reasonable enough and looked nice too.

Hi Carebear, I bought lots of bits and pieces from Argos when I moved in to my house, including lamps and lights and most of the things I have in the bathroom. Brilliant value, everything working perfectly, but I'd stop short of buying actual furniture, a lot of it seems to be very flimsy. My brother once bought a self-assembly bookcase from them and it kind of fell apart once he put a few things on the shelves....but maybe he just didn't assemble it properly??!!

Same here. Bought lots of bits & pieces including bed, bedside drawers, computer desk, shelves etc. for delivery and self assembly. Never had any problems other than once when a part was missing and the manufacturer sorted this out immediately.

i've bought lots from them too and have found their stuff fine for the price.

The only dissapointment I had was when we decided to buy a cheap sofa there for a spare room, not very comfortable.

Carebear, if you're near a Homebase store, you can go and have a look at the lights as they sell a lot of the same stock. I've bought stuff (PC workstation, bookcase, Bed, lockers, table, chairs, lights, bathroom stuff) from Argos and while it's not Chippendale furniture, it's good for the price.

I've bought lots of bits too, never a problem. Their lights are great value. Many of them are sold in stores in Dublin at twice the price. I imagined the Argos ones wouldn't be as nice but was proved wrong. A friend bought a sofa which she didn't find comfortable. Argos took it back, no problem. She replaced it with another which is comfortable and looks great. I find their delivery great, they give you the day and it arrives on time.

We bought lots of bits for our own house, though not really by way of big furniture, and have generally been pretty happy with the quality. Later we bought a fair amount for our investment property including quite an amount of the bedroom furniture. Most was good and we weren't buying anything we wouldn't have had in our own house but if we were doing it again I'd stick with the solid wood furniture - a lot of their veneered stuff looks fine but the veneer pulls off very easily so you spend far too much time with the wood glue. They have some very nice and surprisingly cheap lighting - we got a couple of floor lamps for about fifteen euro and you could pay three or four times the price elsewhere for something that looks identical to me.

Also pretty reliable - they give a fairly short window within which they'll arrive, and in my case although the driver got lost twice he still made it in the time-slot. They were very helpful with putting things in the right rooms for assembly, and so on, so we had less heavy lifting to do.

If you're buying self assembly stuff, the instructions are generally good, and it's rare for fixings to be missing - I still have bags and bags of extra screws and bolts in the toolbox. But be warned: wardrobe assembly is not fun. You'll need two people for a lot of it, just to keep everything properly aligned, and for both parties to be very even-tempered! I normally like assembling stuff - it's one of the few things I'm pretty handy at - but I caused some serious rage pollution trying to get the doors onto the wardrobes. As I recall, it took an evening of sitting out on our patio with a bottle of very silly pink wine to wind down after that.

I've used there lights before and found they blew bulbs quite often, esp. the recessed ones. Just something to bear in mind.

Thanks for all your help. I think I'll buy all my lights, bathroom accessories and small bit's and pieces but where furniture is concerned I'll stick to retailers. The only thing I find with Argos is you can't actually see what your buying till you get home. I know things can be changed but it's the hassle of it all!!

Lighting from Argos is brilliant value and the quality is grand, no problems at all......I bought some furniture there also, however its like any flat pack furniture..Would warn that some items look slightly different than in the catalogue...as the catalogue photos have the advantage of professional lighting etc!

Take very particular note of sizings in the catalogue...I learned my lesson the hard way and bought some storage baskets that I thought would do for towels (at least thats how they looked in the picture!)..When I bought them I thought the boxes were rather small...got them home and realised that they would store facecloths but thats about all! My own fault reallly, I hadn't looked at the measurements and misinterpreted the photo!

My general rule of thumb with Argos is: don't buy the cheapest variety of anything in their catalogue. But anything from the second cheapest on up should be fine.

OH!OH! Im getting a bit scared reading all the posts about buying stuf from Argos. Waiting on a delivery of bedroom furniture at the moment,including a wardrobe, & 3 chests of drawers!!! Hope I wont end up pulling my hair out LOL, will let ya all know when it arrives!

Don't worry. When I tried to assemble my Argos wardrobe Dublin fire brigade came really quickly and had me released in 90 minutes.