Buying from a garage: get it checked?

Muffinb

Do you need to get an independant mechanic to check a car before you buy from a garage or is their 6 month warranty enough?

I am reading sad stories here about people being stung by garages and hate the thought it might happen to me.

What do you mean by a "6 month warranty"? What's covered - all mechanical parts, all electrical parts, engine, gear-box, clutch, brakes? Will they supply a courtesy car? Will they pay for all replacement parts as well as the labour to diagnose and repair problems? Is the warranty written down?

"Do you need to get an independant mechanic to check a car before you buy from a garage" - IMHO, absolutely and get a written report.

Oh ok, Im very naive about this then... havent a clue what the warranty includes, he just said 6 months warranty and I presumed this was me covered for everything in case something goes wrong in that time...

Ill get it in writing and get a mechanic to check it out for me and ask for him to provide his findings in writing too!
.. so the same applies to a garage as if you were buying privately really? Its not one of those big shiney garages either just a car lot kind of place with a portacabin on it.

Many thanks again for the reply, Ill try to be ultra careful just in case.

What is the "usual" warranty with a used car? Ive seen 6 months covering everything incl labour, 3 months engine/gearbox, which sounds terrible.

At what stage of proceedings would you bring up getting it checked independently - prior to the agreeing anything regarding a sale or as part of the sale ("I'll buy this pending independent checkup")?

House purchase "sale subject to loan approval & survey" - car purchase "sale subject to detailed mechanical inspection & report". The garage can refuse to allow an inspection (good ones won't) in which case that's all you need to know, find another garage.

BTW be very wary of places offering a "warranty insurance", it may be a means of them attempting to side-step their obligations and it may prove difficult to collect on the insurance in the event of having problems with the car.

The usual warranty ? - I don't believe there is any such thing.

I think what Ill do is ask mechanic to go and look at the car without the garage knowing, he can act as a potential buyer. Get his report and then make an offer... obviously not as high as he is asking!

When should I ask for details of the warranty?? over the phone before next viewing? after mechanic loks at it?? when agreeing price with dealer?

What do you think?

You appear to have sold yourself already on the car that you want - you have done their salesman's job for them.
Now all they have to do is con you into thinking you have a comeback against them if its a dodgy motor.

Most six month warranties seem to be either; -

(i) not worth the paper they're not written on [if you take my meaning]
(ii) miraculously expire just before a major fault arises, or
(iii) fail to cover a fault that does arise within 6 months.

Get the car looked at by a mechanic, but more importantly, check the log book and service history.
Bring the car around to the previous garage that serviced it for a dekko.
See if the car was serviced by a main dealer from new.
See if the car has missed any services.

AFAIK its still legal for an unscrupulous garage to weld two wrecks together and sell the "new" car "for spares of repair" so caveat emptor is your best guide.

FWIW

ONQ.

Yeah guess it would be a bad sign if they refused alright.....though I can imgaine some complaining about letting the car out of their garage without it being bought (or similar scéal). I assume the buyer pays for the inspection?

Surely a mechanic can check a car over enough in the forecourt by looking under the bonnet, test driving etc, am I wrong?
Can't see why the dealer would not allow him to look at it then and there, dealer came with us yesterday when on the test drive so Its not like mechanic will do a runner!

By the way what does "dekko" mean??

Dekko:
Brit slang a look; glance; view (esp in the phrase take a dekko (at))

I'd prefer to bring it away to a garage for full check - there's more to look at than just under the bonnet.....brakes check, exhaust, sump, signs of rust undercarraige, electrics test etc

Well following on from my previous post here is what is covered by the warranty, can someone in the know tell me if this is standard and is good enough?? Dealer has no issue with me taking car out to be checked by a mechanic independently so Im feeling more confident now and yet still wary!!
Ive copied and pasted it here:Insert car dealers detals n the X's obvously!

Terms and Conditions of Warranty
6 Months or 6000kms whichever comes first
1. Mechanical Parts & Labor only, Excluding Service items and natural wear and tear items
2. I acknowledge that the dealer accepts no liability in respect of manufacturer’s guarantee, All claims that fall under manufacturers guarantee will be aided by XXX to the best of our ability.
3. All Warranty work is to be carried out by XXX unless by prior arrangement.
4. Warranty does not include Alarms, Tyres, Glass, Clutches, Exhausts, Radios and Sunroofs etc. Please ensure you have checked these items before signing this agreement.
5. Body work and interior of vehicle at time of sale will be deemed to be to the satisfaction of the customer, No warranty will be given or implied to Scratches, Bumps, Dents , etc or interior damage unless by agreement with XXX, At the time of sale.
6. General Vehicle maintenance or vehicle servicing is not covered by warranty.
7. A replacement vehicle is available at €30.00 Plus VAT a day.

Date of Delivery: _____________ Reg. No. ____
Make & Model: _ Mileage: ____
I agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this contract which I have read and understand

Signed
XXX Customer

6 Months or 6000kms whichever comes first - I would like to get rid of the mileage limit, thats only 3750 miles which will be done in way less than six months.

Mechanical Parts & Labor only, Excluding Service items and natural wear and tear items - Does that mean no electrics are covered?

Warranty does not include Alarms, Tyres, Glass, Clutches, Exhausts, Radios and Sunroofs - I would want clutch, exhaust covered

A lot depends on the value of the car. Is it worth paying a mechanic €100-€200 for a €3k runaround - maybe not. Is it worth paying this for a €30k yoke - probably yes.

€50 for an 11K car!!! friend of a friend doing the check for me... worth 100 it even if it was 3K though no?

Will ask about electrics, clutch and exhaust... are they usually covered though or is this me haggling on price and asking for these ars extras???

Well I would have always took it that a warranty meant they covered anything that went mechanically/electrically/otherwise wrong with the car within the specified time, no questions asked, both parts and labour.

I would not expect this to cover tyre wear and such day to day stuff, but if my clutch went or exhaust started to sound like a boy racer car within a week/month I would expect it fixed as part of the warranty.

I dont think thats being unreasonable, its not an extra, its part of the car.

Thanks, will get that included then, if he argues about it I will be walking away as not letting my heart rule on this one like Ive done on other cars n the past...

I think that's a pretty good warranty; it sounds fair and is fairly standard - some of the items on the list are excluded from new car warranties, e.g. batteries, tyres, clutches, brakes, fluids, wiper-blades, bulbs, etc. Its simple, straightforward and easy for the non-tech to understand; whether it would survive intact through a rigorous legal proofreading is another issue entirely. Personally I'd be happy to look at and check-out cars at that garage.

Before I make a complete ass of myself , which isnt unusual... its a automatic! .... there is no gearbox and clutch right??

.... there is no gearbox and clutch right??
There's a very expensive yoke that replaces the normal manual gearbox and clutch. If you haven't driven an auto-box before forget you have a left leg and just brake and accelerate with your right. Take a minute or two to familiarise yourself before you go on the road.

So this "very expensive yoke" (what is it?) would need to be covered separately then?

Have test driven automatic, I liken it to driving a bumper car! Great fun and no worn out foot while stuck snailing along in traffic!