Buying food products directly from farmers

Patrick2008

Does anyone know if itis possible to buy food produce directly from farmers and to cut out the middleman? I know there are farmers markets in the various towns and cities throughout the country but in alot of cases there are very few "actual farers" at them and only people who are selling in the same way as a supermarket albeit in a smaller way.

There must be a way of cutting out the middleman (the supermarket) other than calling to the farmers house etc. I live in Dublin and I would gladly buy fresh produce if reasonably priced etc. e.g a litre of milk costs on average 90c from the supermarket. The farmer is currently getting 20c/litre for the raw product. That leaves 70c/litre to process, distribute etc. Milk may be a bad example as it is up to the creamery to process etc but there are many other goods that could be sold directly from farmer to customer? However, the prices would have to be less or sae as supermarkets in order for it to work.

I think some farmers do a box scheme, they will deliver a box of veg to you every week, for a fee.
The contents vary each week, depending on whats in season, so its a bit of a surprise for you each week, but i think you can specify if there is a certain veg you DONT want in your box.

Maybe google farmers box scheme and see if there is one in your area.

[broken link removed]

Since when, I wonder have Irish farmers started growing bananas and grapes comercially?

Back